Farmer's Market returns to Capitol Square for spring

Green leaves are on the trees. The robins are back from the south. And, another sure sign of spring, the Dane County Farmers' Market opens up shop at Capitol Square this Saturday. The market, which began in 1972, hosts approximately 300 vendors and is open each Wednesday and Saturday through November.  

The market has attracted big crowds for years. On a good Saturday we'll have about 20,000 people,\ said Larry Johnson, the market's manager. According to the DCFM website, this is the largest producer-only farmers' market in the country. 

It promotes the sale of Wisconsin-made farm products and allows Madison residents to interact directly with Wisconsin farmers. It is open Saturdays from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. 

The market has been credited with creating a culture of its own. In addition to fruits, vegetables, meats, bakery, flowers and cheese, vendors across the street from the Capitol sell arts and crafts. Street musicians add to the local environment, and inside the state Capitol grounds there are non-profit, political and public information booths.  

""We'll typically have 150 to 160 vendors every Saturday,"" said Johnson. However, as one of the largest farmers' markets in the Midwest, it has become so popular that farmers are placed on a three-year waiting list.  

The market has attracted vendors from all parts of the state of Wisconsin.  

""A unique part of the farmers' market is the one-on-one contact with the vendor and the customer,"" said Johnson.  

Alice Jackson, a vendor at the market for over 17 years, said she enjoys what the market represents. Jackson is known for her patty pan squash and green onions.  

""We meet a lot of interesting people, a lot of people that want to know how to grow things,"" Jackson said. ""It's a good experience for anyone who comes to the market."" 

Kelly Kerlor, a vendor from Madison, began working at farmers' markets in 1988 in Seattle, Wash. After moving to Madison in 1999, she began selling vegetables, fruits and flowers.  

""It's not that profitable of a business,"" Kerlor said, ""but I think it's pretty fun, and people really enjoy it."" 

""It's a focal point for summertime activities on the weekend,"" said Johnson.  

\