Saturday, June 15, 2024

Another bartime sexual assault hits downtown

A woman was sexually assaulted April 9 near the intersection of Henry Street and State Street at approximately 3:30 a.m.  

The victim was walking home around bar time when a group of five to six college-aged white males began verbally harassing her. The group caught up to her in a dimly-lit area where they grabbed her breasts and genitals. The woman attempted to yell for help, but one of the suspects forcefully covered her mouth and prevented her from screaming.  

The suspects eventually fled the scene. Madison Police have yet to arrest anybody for the assault. 

A detective is being assigned,\ Madison Police Public Information Officer Mike Hanson said. ""But at this point we don't have a whole lot to get on."" 

Saturday night's incident comes on the heels of several alcohol-related sexual assaults in the downtown area. Police and city officials have cautioned female students against walking home alone from bars late at night. 

Although bars are not fully to blame for the overconsumption of alcohol, they do play a role in dangerous walks home, according to Joel Plant, Madison's alcohol policy coordinator.  

""It is part of the responsibility of the bartender, but we have to lay some responsibility on the individual who is actually consuming the alcohol,"" Plant said. ""It is a joint effort. We can also include friends as far as people taking some responsibility for looking out for each other."" 

But the MPD's Hanson said blaming bars for patrons drinking too much is unfair. He said people should be responsible for their own actions, and friends should also help in getting people home and controlling drinking. 

""We have to be held accountable for our own behaviors,"" Hanson said. ""To blame an organization is inaccurate. To blame individuals and hold them accountable is important."" 

Dean Hetue, owner of The Plaza Tavern, 319 N. Henry St., said his employees watch people as they leave, but once they are out of the bar, it is the individual's responsibility and not the responsibility of the bar to make sure they get home. 

""I don't think the bars are to blame for sexual assaults in downtown Madison,"" Hetue said. ""We can't follow everyone home because we have cleaning up to do at our own places.""  

""The bottom line is people have to be mindful of their surroundings, walk in pairs, and need to be held accountable for their actions,"" Hanson said.  

The police department is asking anyone who has information on Saturday night's assault to call Crime Stoppers at (608) 266-6014. 

\