UW student hit in late-night mugging

Victim was attacked on way home from libraryEarly Wednesday morning, Madison police were called to the 1000 block of West Dayton Street after a report of a strong-armed robbery. The victim of the alleged robbery said he had been walking home from a UW-Madison library when three males attacked him.  

According to police, the victim received a bump on the head but did not require medical attention. However, he did lose his backpack and wallet to the attackers.  

Mike Hanson, public information officer for the Madison Police Department, said officers try to get to the scenes of robberies as fast as possible to talk to victims and search for suspects. Despite quick responses, police are often unable to catch suspects and are forced to begin frustrating investigations. 

Hanson said police are often on patrol in particularly dangerous areas in an attempt to minimize the number of downtown attacks. 

We try and show an increased presence and we try to also be in areas where there is a problem,\ Hanson said. 

Jacob Hahn, Safe Arrival For Everyone night-time services coordinator, said several services are available to students who walk around campus late at night.  

""Plan ahead when you're going to be traveling after dark,"" Hahn said. ""SAFEwalk does normal rounds around campus areas. We're also available for escorts to be scheduled at any point during our operating hours.""  

However, Hahn said SAFEwalk services are only available until 1 a.m. After 1 a.m., students must either walk home alone or arrange a ride with a SAFEride cab or bus, which are available until 3 a.m. 

Hahn offered suggestions for students who choose not to use the SAFE services. ""Walk in groups of two or more, make sure people know where you are at all times, make sure your roommates know where you're going to be,"" Hahn said.  

UW-Madison sophomore Caitlin Hill said she follows several of the guidelines suggested to students.  

""I spend about three nights a week at the library at least, if not more,"" Hill said. ""When I walk, I keep my keys in my hand and try to stay in well-lit areas.""  

But Hanson stressed that despite the police department's efforts, students walking home alone late at night will always be vulnerable to attack. 

""Crime can happen, and no one is immune to it,"" Hanson said.\