Spring into shape!

I have never been a fan of fitness classes. After laughing myself out of Hip Hop Mania and getting too busy to keep up with Group Strength in past years, I decided to stick to the treadmill and Lakeshore paths instead. But after hearing friends talk about how much they love classes at the Southeast Recreational Facility and the Natatorium, I decided to give them another chance.  

I went to four classes in five days, and although I didn't excel in every one, I was impressed with the variety of options available (not to mention ending up incredibly sore in muscles I didn't even know I had). With more than 80 classes offered each week, the $10 semester-fee is definitely worth it. As soon as I can walk down stairs again without wincing, I fully intend to work some of them into my regular exercise routine. 

Sunday: Boot Camp 

As stated on the Recreational Sports website, boot camp is not for sissies. When I walked in to see the instructor decked out in army boots and camouflage, I knew I was in for an intense and very unique workout. 

To start, the class lined up in parallel columns as the instructor, Lance Cpl. Jonathan Highness, marched back and forth and told us to say goodbye to laziness.\ We would be working on our physical, mental and moral endurance, and it was not going to be easy. 

After learning some basic squats, wall climbs, planks and diamond pushups, we were told to find a partner similar in size to be our ""battle buddy"" for the day. Each pair learned to pick each other up as if the other were a wounded soldier, a maneuver requiring extremely close contact for two people who just met.  

The learning session ended and it was now time to run, not just in the classroom, but around the entire SERF. The running stopped only to allow for series of jumping jacks, high knees and other skills we learned earlier (while counting aloud in true military fashion). When Highness yelled ""Evac!"" we sprinted to our battle buddies and rescued them from a hypothetical exploding landmine. And this was only the first 40 minutes. 

After 20 minutes of abs, calisthenics and eventual exhaustion, I caught my breath long enough to talk to our drill sergeant. He and the other instructor, U.S. Army medic Phil Lindholm, started the class after discovering the mind's ""amazing strength over the body"" through their own experiences at boot camp.  

Unlike the real thing, where positive reinforcement does not exist, participants in the class never get insulted or yelled at. But they do get a good workout, and I may even consider going back—as soon as I regain feeling in my legs. 

Tuesday: Spinology 

Lance Armstrong makes it look so easy. But cycling, known as spinning when on stationary bikes, is anything but. Found between the Christmas lights, loud music and sweaty bodies, the spinology room at the SERF has many of the same qualities as a dance club. It was hard to hear the instructor over the music at first, but I soon realized that without it, I may have quit after the first 10 minutes. 

Our instructor was Dana DeMet, a sophomore who started his cycling career seven years ago racing mountain bikes. He said each class differs depending on the instructor, with his trying to ""simulate a real-world ride."" He also synchronizes some of his program to music, making the hill climbs and sprints much more enjoyable. 

Because spinning is one of the SERF's most popular classes, there was already a line when my friend and I arrived 30 minutes early. The class started with a five-minute warm-up; by minute 10, I already knew I was going to be sore.  

DeMet led us through many series of sprints, hills, tunnels and extremely tiring jumps while keeping in time with everything from Britney Spears to Sum 41. He and others in the class agreed that spinning is unique because participants can choose how hard to work by adjusting resistance levels on the bike. Although I wasn't sure I was always on the right one, the sweat running down my face assured me I wasn't cheating myself.  

Whether you are having an off day or a good one, DeMet says ""you can get what you want out of [the class]."" Next time, I'll be sure to bring a bigger water bottle and think about investing in some of those padded biker shorts. 

Wednesday: Belly Dancing 

The only class I attended without at least one male participant, belly dancing was much different from spinning and boot camp. The class is less of a physical workout and more about learning basic technique, instructor Theresa Donnelly told me. She has been belly dancing since she was nine, and she and her sister actually learned the skill from their mom. Donnelly made the moves look easy since she is also an instructor for the UW Belly Dance Club. 

I, however, made them look robotic and awkward. Luckily, someone was blocking my view of myself in the giant mirror, so I could only guess how incredibly offbeat I was. I think I mastered the figure eights and hip circles, but trying to put the moves together and keep in time with the music was not going to happen.  

My lack of coordination aside, the class itself was quite intriguing. Donnelly said she gets a lot of regulars and tries to offer everyone a taste of what belly dancing is all about. Many of the participants seemed to know what they were doing, and one even wore the appropriate wrap and midriff shirt. But there were also plenty of beginners and non-dancers to make me feel better when I shook my hip in the completely wrong direction.  

Although I probably won't go to the class again, I will be sure to check out the Belly Dance Club's next performance. 

Thursday: PowerFlow 

Two skills that have always eluded me are balance and flexibility. Unfortunately, these are also two of the most important aspects of PowerFlow, a class combining Yoga and Pilates, and definitely the most relaxing of the four I attended. 

If I could give only one piece of advice about this class, it would be to bring your own mat. The mats the SERF provides are too short for many of the positions and so slippery I almost face-planted during a position called ""downward-facing dog."" It also would have helped to be in a smaller, darker room without basketball hoops and the glow of fluorescent lights. 

Given its downsides, this class gave me a whole new perspective on fitness. While I mostly concentrated on not passing out in boot camp and spinning, PowerFlow allowed me to really focus on what my body was doing. It also made me more aware of my breathing than I've ever been, and helped me forget about the other stresses of the day. 

The entire 60-minute class was done barefoot and accompanied by appropriately soothing music. It started with a few minutes of stretching and gradually progressed into learning some basic moves and combinations. Many of them required balancing on one leg and closing your eyes to get the full effect, but doing both at the same time was close to impossible for a beginner like me. 

I didn't work up a sweat or feel sore after this class, but judging by the instructor's incredibly toned physique I'd say this kind of exercise definitely has its benefits. Originally from Costa Rica, instructor Raquel Sancho got into Yoga through dance and focuses on improving strength in her class. Although I almost fell over more than once, she assured me my flexibility and balance would improve with time. 

\