Policy protects housefellow rights

As agents of a public university, housefellows should not have to give up their right to lead or participate in events such as religious gatherings. The existing policy has recently come under fire in regards to housefellows holding Bible studies in their dorm rooms. We believe that the newly proposed amendments to this policy will reconcile private rights with public regulations. 

By essentially living at their workplace, the state places limitations on the personal lives of housefellows. The current policy states, 'Student staff can not play a leadership or facilitator role in a group or organization in the unit of employment.' 

The proposed changes will allow housefellows to 'participate in, organize and lead any meetings or other activities, within their rooms, floors or residence halls, or anywhere else on campus, to the same extent as other students.' 

However, the new policy will put limitations on housefellows' right to 'influence, pressure or coerce' resident participation in such events. We fully support this policy. If housefellows can organize 'Sex Out Loud' condom drives, why not, hypothetically, 'God Out Loud' Bible studies? The new policy will not break the barrier between church and state, it is meant to enable individuals to do as they chose in their private lives. 

Housefellows have already given up enough freedoms to work for the University, and restrictions on personal rights are unnecessary. This revision finally aligns University Housing policy with the liberal and accepting reputation of the University.