I should have been a cake decorator

As most of us neared the end of our high school careers, we had become proficient bubble fillers on Scantrons. One of my memorable white-and-green Scantron tests was supposed to aid in my career-path selection process. 

Not only was I exhausted after nearly 200 questions like, 'Do you excel in math,' or 'Do you enjoy working with your hands'? but I developed a cramp in my hand that was so severe I wouldn't be able to work with my hands for whatever crappy job they suggested based on that question. Like most standardized tests school forced us to take, I got my test results back in a short two months. 

My classmates and I were anxious to find out what exciting careers we were compatible with. However, many of us were shocked at the results. My best friend was most compatible with a garbage man, my girlfriend was supposed to be a mortuary technician and I was to become a cake decorator. 

While we had all looked forward to more elegant careers, our guidance counselor mentioned that there are many paths in life that can lead you to the same destination. 

'Follow your passions and the money will come,' Mr. Johnson said. 

Well, five years, 142 UW-Madison college credits, $40,000 and three majors later, I realized that I have not been following my passions. Who wants to work an eight-to-five job to have financial freedom? I would much rather spend my time watching movies, playing video games or decorating cakes. This lazy attitude is most likely the cause for the great success of the Wisconsin Lottery Powerball.  

I'm sure the career of Roger Ebert has had its ups and downs, but a recent Internet quote said he rakes in $500,000 annually. Not a bad salary to sit on your butt eating popcorn and criticizing the pros and cons of America's newest movies.  

Even more stunning is the story about Jonathan 'Fatal1ty' Wendel, who is in the Cyberathlete Professional League and now has his own line of computer hardware. This 24-year-old made $150,000 this past November by winning the CPL World Tour Grand Finals. Though Wendel is undoubtedly a dork, I have to give him credit for practicing video games eight hours a day for three weeks straight prior to this competition; a feat my brain and eyesight would not allow me to endure. 

Even though most people are sensible, some people follow their dreams no matter how crazy they may appear. Perhaps Mr. Johnson was correct and one's passions should come first and the money will follow, but I feel the majority of dreams of falling into a ridiculous occupation and getting paid to do nothing all day long will never come true. 

Though the careers that Scantron exam told me to pursue were not prestigious, maybe they were closer to my passions than my current job and would have eventually led me to happiness and then money. Regardless, I'm going to start following my dreams tonight when I buy five tickets for Saturday's $365 million Powerball Jackpot. Good luck to all you following your passions!