Win over your tastes

With Parent's Day as the theme for Saturday's football game, Cardinal Food has chosen some of Madison's defining restaurants for you and your family. Enjoy! 

Marigold Kitchen 

If you feel like showing your parents a different side of campus eateries, try Marigold Kitchen, 118 S. Pinckney St.  

Just off Capitol Square, Marigold Kitchen offers a delightful Saturday morning brunch served from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., where you will find a variety of breakfast and lunch foods to suit any palate.  

Walking into the restaurant, you are met with colorful columns and distinctive artwork. Seating is available at the bar, a table or cushion-covered benches lining the walls. Always sure to be full of people, Marigold has the atmosphere of a bustling diner in which you'll never have to wait long.  

Choose from delicious and unique pastries, fresh fruit or a variety of breakfast and lunch dishes. Whatever you choose, don't miss ordering a side of Marigold potatoes or a glass of freshly-squeezed orange juice.  

Treat your parents to some excellent Madison coffee from Ancora. Additionally, Marigold Kitchen serves amazing omelettes, for $7.25 and buttermilk or blueberry pancakes for $4.95 and $6.95 that look just as good as they taste.  

You can also feel good about eating at Marigold Kitchen because it uses fresh and local organic eggs and buy vegetables from local farmers.  

Marigold Kitchen is also open from 7 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. for breakfast and 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday-Friday for brunch. 

The Great Dane 

A greasy burger and $2 mystery brew surely has its time and place, but for a refined experience, the discerning diner must look beyond State Street. The Great Dane Pub and Brewing Company, 123 E. Doty St., offers an ideal alternative.  

On tap at The Great Dane are no fewer than 14 brews, root beer, ginger ale and cream soda, all made on location. Whether or not one samples the wonderful assortment, large iron brewing casks provide an authentic backdrop. 

This genuine atmosphere carries over to the dining area, where comfy booths are complimented by dark brick, rich wood and a dim light. Despite a packed house, the service was both immediate and helpful as well as a recommendation of traditional pub fare, fish and chips ($7.75). The mammoth pieces of cod fillet were dipped in a batter whose main flavor, Great Dane ale, was delightfully noticeable.  

A lighter suggestion that nicely contrasts the abounding fish fry is the Webster Street Chicken Salad ($7.25). It features fresh chunks of Granny Smith apple, tart cranberries and creamy Gorgonzola cheese. 

Burgers, steaks and a wide selection of vegetarian dishes are also offered, all accompanied by house-made beer bread. 

Considering the incredible array offered at The Great Dane'crispy pub classics, lighter fare and more than a dozen freshly brewed beers'bartender Dave Reinemann offers an apt conclusion: 'We have something for all tastes'both young and old.' 

Mickie's Dairy Bar 

Reminiscent of small town eatin', Mickie's Dairy Bar, 1511 Monroe St., is a Madison breakfast destination. From pancakes that extend off the plate to Kool-Aid by the glass, the menu is classic diner fare.  

Looking around the establishment, patrons can also get their breakfast with a side of Madison history. The restaurant's d??cor shows the culture of the city both past and present, with lots of Badger flair. Even the front sign that beckons customers is an original from the restaurant's establishment in 1946.  

Similarly, the prices reflect those of 1946. Omelets start at $3 and the pancakes are $4.50 for two. Sadie, a longtime waitress at Mickie's, recommends the Scrambler, $6, for those looking to get the best bang for their buck. After this platter of potatoes topped with eggs, cheese, meat and gravy, there is no need to plan for lunch.  

The atmosphere is far from elegant'it is a diner'but the food is great, the prices are reasonable and the staff is friendly. All these factors account for the crowds of students and professionals getting their fill each morning. There may be a wait, but the payoff will come when you bite into a blueberry pancake bigger than your head. 

Extra points 

Breakfast 

?? Sunroom Cafe, 638 State St. 

?? University Housing 

Lunch 

?? Ella's Deli, 2902 E. Washington Ave. 

?? Babcock Hall Dairy Store, 1605 Linden Dr. 

Dinner 

?? Dotty Dumpling's Dowry, 317 N. Frances St. 

?? Paisan's, 80 University Square