UW’s party-school reputation brings Playboy to Madison

The house Hef built has come to Madison in search of beautiful UW-Madison students willing to bare it all in the hopes of gracing the pages of an upcoming issue of Playboy. The theme of the issue''Girls of the Top Ten Party Schools''fits for UW-Madison, considering its recent chart-topping in the Princeton Review. 

Playboy representative Cynthia Kaye and photographer George Georgiou are running the auditions and subsequent photo shoots, which will last until the end of the week.  

Kaye stressed all UW-Madison women are encouraged to participate, although she did note certain characteristics she looks for.  

'I like girls that are enthusiastic, girls with good smiles, girls that want to get in there and cheer if we're doing a group photo. We try and really create a lot of different looks so it represents the whole body of students,' Kaye said. 

Kaye expects 50 to 60 women to attend the auditions. After Georgiou photographs each bikini-clad woman, Kaye and Georgiou will review the pictures. Those fortunate enough to be selected will be called back and paid depending on how much of their wardrobe they are willing to remove.  

Most of the women involved admitted to liking Playboy, and were comfortable with the idea of being photographed naked.  

'I think [Playboy is] an institution. Somehow, they have maintained a sense of dignity and class,' said one UW-Madison junior who wished to remain anonymous. 

For this student, the photo shoot was more than fun and games. 

'I'm currently in Women's Studies 102. We were recently covering an issue on the objectification of women and how you have to be perky, and you have to be this, and you have to be that,' the student said. 'I'm hoping to do this to challenge the issue that I'm not this perfect, perky blonde who is perfect in every standard.'  

Not everyone agrees that Playboy is a good thing. Indeed, many say they believe pornography is immoral and objectifies women. In the past 18 years, Kaye has come to Madison for photo shoots two to three times, and dealing with protests used to be part of the job. But now Kaye maintains, 'It's not a big deal. It hasn't happened in 10 years.' 

When asked why women have continued to model for Playboy for more than 50 years, Kaye said, 'The photographers are the best in the world; it's all completely professional at all times. There's no reason why anybody should feel uncomfortable being nude,' Kaye said. 'You're a glamour queen for a day. How could you go wrong'?