Magnum to make second try for Madison congressional seat

Local businessman Dave Magnum announced his candidacy for the Second Congressional District seat in the 2006 election yesterday at a press conference at the State Capitol. 'We need a bold new vision, and Wisconsin's motto is 'Forward,'' said Magnum. 

Magnum said he is running for 'our priorities, our values, our future,' adding that his platform is based strongly on and around the Wisconsin family. A self-declared family man, Magnum underscored his commitment to children and their futures.  

He criticized current Second District U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Madison, for voting to raise taxes and said he would fight for tax cuts to create jobs. 

'Good jobs mean stronger families, and stronger families will ultimately translate into a brighter, more secure future,' he said.  

Baldwin said Magnum's interests are for the wealthy. 'I'm in Washington today, fighting for the interests of hard-working Wisconsin families,' she said. 

Magnum said he wants to improve Wisconsin's education system to 'keep our kids in the Badger state.' He also promised, if elected, to remain in Wisconsin and pay careful attention to the district's interests. 

He criticized Baldwin for 'flying over Wisconsin, chasing campaign cash from special interest groups on the east and west coasts.' However, in a statement Baldwin said, 'I can assure you that my attention is squarely focused on the best interests of the people I represent, not politics.' 

UW-Madison political science professor Charles Franklin offered some explanation for Baldwin's traveling. He said she is involved with many gay and lesbian interest groups mostly based on the coasts. 

Franklin said because Baldwin is one of the least moderate Democrats in the House of Representatives, 'it's no doubt that liberal interest groups from around the country want her support. Challengers rarely are able to tap into money outside the district because they have no national constituents.' 

Many question how likely it is for a Republican to win while Pres. Bush's approval rates are below 40 percent and declining. Historically, in all but three cases in the last 100 years, the president's party has lost seats in the midterm election.  

'Given Bush's current standing, you won't see any Republicans running, draping themselves over him,' Franklin said.  

Magnum distanced himself from Bush, praising 'balanced and reasonable leaders' like Colin Powell and Rudolph Giuliani.