Balance of youth and experience aids Badgers

Just falling shy of the Frozen Four last year the women's hockey team (4-1-0 Western Collegiate Hockey Association, 6-1-0 overall) is on their way to a less bittersweet ending this year.  

Despite one early loss against Minnesota-Duluth, the team has swept opponents Vermont, Minnesota State, and North Dakota. Consistency and puck control on offense has led to many successful scoring opportunities for Wisconsin and few or none for their opponents. 

Significant contribution comes from junior forward Sara Bauer's line. Senior captain Sharon Cole and last year's WCHA all-rookie team forward, Jinelle Zaugg are also on the line, giving them three of the team's top scorers. The dynamic line thrives on the compatibility of each player's individual strengths. 

While in previous years the focus was on Bauer and Cole, this year the spotlight will be shared with Zaugg. Last year she made a name for herself as a freshman, scoring her first collegiate goal on her first shot taken in the Wayne State game. Her hot start continued with multiple rookie of the week honors and a total 37 total points earned last season.  

At 6'1', easily the tallest player on the team, when people see Zaugg, they see her size. However, her success does not solely rely on genetics. Zaugg's dynamic talent rests in her strong, consistent skating and forceful shot.  

In addition, her experience with boy's hockey turned her into a more physical player. Last year, part of her transition was channeling her physical aggressiveness into ways to win the puck, instead of paying for it in the penalty box. 

'You kind of hold back in a corner because you know you're going to hit the person and you know you're not supposed to, so you kind of have to watch yourself,' Zaugg said. Although she admits it will 'always be a transition,' knowing the ways she can use her size has shaped her as a player overall. 

'If you look at all the things that she does well, she's got the opportunity to be a successful player,' head coach Mark Johnson said of Zaugg. 'She's already had a good start to this season and I think as her confidence and consistency continues to grow, so will her talent.' 

Consistency is not just a goal of Zaugg's. The whole team strives to execute with the same amount of intensity every game. The Badgers' record so far reflects the ability of the team, while also showing early-season transition. As Bauer said, 'It's still early in the season, so we're still trying to come together as a team.' 

Last weekend's series against North Dakota reflects the direction the Badgers want to head in. Friday, although sneaking by with a 3-2 win, the execution was off. On Saturday the Badgers answered with full energy, pounding North Dakota, 8-0, they showed how they wished to play for the rest of the season.  

'You can never score enough goals,' said Zaugg, 'We need to work on finishing this season, and what attributed to our success on Saturday was being able to move the puck and finish.'