With spiritual growth in mind, each religious group's style differs

Many consider UW-Madison to be a \liberal"" school, possibly leading some to consider the campus to be non-religious as well. Nevertheless, what makes UW-Madison different from smaller, religious-oriented schools like Edgewood College is that UW-Madison does not have an official religion, but rather offers the opportunity to explore many.  

The Student Organization Office lists over 70 religiously affiliated groups on campus. Groups range from a five-person Bible study to hundred-student gatherings. 

Campus Crusade for Christ is one of the largest Christian organizations on campus with 400 to 500 students attending each meeting. It serves to help students explore Jesus and provide an encouraging environment with other followers.  

""We want to help people look at the Bible and realize it actually is practical for the 21st century,"" said Scott Roe, staff member of Campus Crusade for Christ. ""It's important to help students prepare for a Christian life after college."" 

Using the motto ""Win, Build, Send,"" Crusade meets on Thursdays in an event called Primetime.  

Outside of Primetime, small groups meet once a week in an individualized atmosphere with a core group of students. 

Aside from meetings, Crusade holds dances, goes on international trips, and is responsible for ideas such as the Easter Eggs that were given out on Bascom Hill before spring break. 

What makes Crusade different from other organizations is it serves as a partner with local churches, not as a replacement, Roe said. 

Students who participate in Campus Crusade for Christ can be found at the Wayland Christian Community House or The Crossing, for instance. 

Wayland serves as a living community for Christians ""to welcome diversity of Christian expression,"" said Karla Schmidt, campus minister at The Crossing. 

Schmidt said students from many different countries and backgrounds come together to have conversations about faith. Students can take classes and learn more about religion through The Crossing, Wayland Community's education partner. 

Together they host service trips and activities, meals and movie nights. Recently the group journeyed to Costa Rica to study Christian responsibility to the environment. 

""Students are very open to others,"" Schmidt said. ""They let their faith speak for peace, service and social justice."" 

Many religious groups on campus serve more as cultural organizations connected with faith than simply on-campus churches. 

The Hillel Jewish Center hosts thirty smaller Jewish affiliated organizations such as the Jewish Theatre Project, Madpac and the Holocaust Remembrance Coalition. 

""Our mission is about the Jewish experience in its totality,"" said Greg Steinberger, executive director at Hillel. ""We are here to meet the needs of the Jewish community religiously, politically, socially and intellectually."" 

Hillel has 3 different religious services available for different orthodoxies. In addition, it offers private dorms and internships for students looking to be involved. 

While groups like Crusade and Hillel work with many students to learn about spirituality, there are a variety of smaller groups available for different religions. 

For example, Buddhists for World Peace is only comprised of approximately fifty members, from both UW-Madison and the community. Because of its small size, the group spends more time discussing in small groups that meet about once a month with the goal of making Buddhism applicable to daily life. 

""Because students are so busy they have to be able to apply [religion] to life or it's not worth it,"" said UW-Madison graduate student and leader of Buddhists for World Peace Jessica Mentzer.  

According to Mentzer the organization is based on the Buddhist philosophy that all beings have spirituality and everyone can be enlightened. They strive to embrace challenges and struggles in order to ultimately attain enlightenment. 

More locally the group gets together to chant, share experiences and discuss more out-of-the box ideas, like how the Star Wars trilogy relates to Buddhism. 

Buddhists for World Peace has its own ""Force"" about it, as do all spiritual organizations on campus. Most strive to see students grow with faith by providing opportunities for learning and questioning together with believers.