'Dialogue' very good-not a matter of Perception

Hailing from Boston, Mr. Lif and Akrobatik have each carved a niche in the indie hip-hop circuit, creating quality music and a solid fan base in the process. Of late, they have worked together and, after combining with DJ Fakts One, have created The Perceptionists. Though each individual group member brings his own set of talents to the table, Black Dialogue is certainly greater then the sum of its parts.  

The chemistry between Mr. Lif and Akrobatik is of the sort that makes one proud to be a hip-hop fan. While most rap albums are merely a collection of songs and most rap songs only a collection of beats and rhymes, The Perceptionists break the mold in the form of a cohesive album filled with even more cohesive tracks.  

The best example of cohesion is probably \Love Letters."" Over soulful Willie Evans Jr. production, Ak and Lif match the vibe of the beat with perfection as they each tell an optimistic, yet realistic story of a love interest. The feeling of the potential of love is captured flawlessly on this track.  

The general feeling of smooth optimism is continued on ""5 O'clock."" Set to a Fakts One backdrop that screams relaxation and positivity, Ak and Lif discuss the feeling of finally getting off of work and using the opportunity to do something constructive. 

However, Black Dialogue is about more than just positivity. ""Memorial Day"" and ""What Have We Got To Lose"" serve as pulpits for the duo's harsh stance on the Bush administration. Both tracks feature a rock-solid take on some of our nation's problems.  

The title track, along with ""Career Finders,"" each criticize the bastardization of black culture. While the former takes a serious approach to the issue, the latter drops some humor in to make light of the situation.  

Though the focus is obviously on lyrics and the product in general, The Perceptionists definitely leave something for the beat junkies who seek to nod their heads. ""Let's Move"" and ""Party Hard"" both fit nicely into this category, as Ak and Lif lighten up the lyrics a bit to put the focus on the production and overall flow of the songs. 

Black Dialogue truly captures all the traits that make good hip-hop good. The general cohesion, varying and creative subject matter, superb lyrical performances and the occasional head-nodder cover every aspect of hip-hop that a listener can possibly enjoy.  

The only thing that comes close to holding this album back is its length. At only 41 minutes, the listener is still able to catch a healthy glimpse of the quality work that Ak and Lif are capable of. It undoubtedly leaves the listener wanting more, which is not a bad thing.  

While Black Dialogue is an outstanding start, The Perceptionists will hopefully be compelled to work hard and drop more albums in the near future. It would certainly be a welcome sight.