Students turn to 'study drugs' too often when facing academic pressures

We've all been there, struggling during late nights of studying just to keep our eyelids from drooping. Many of us try to manipulate our exhaustion by playing some fast-paced music in the background, splashing our faces with cold water or downing a quick soda or cup of coffee.  

Most of us also know when to cut off our intake of caffeine and would never abuse any substance for the mere purpose of staying awake to study. However, more and more students are falling victim to unhealthy addictions as their workloads increase. 

Recently, prescription drugs like Adderall, Ritalin, Dexedrine and forms of Ephedrine are being consumed by college students who have not been prescribed these medicines. Students gain access to such medications through other students who are willing to share prescriptions or by purchasing them through illegal vendors. Because the drugs are meant primarily for students with attention deficit disorder and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, those with normal brain activity could suffer potentially dangerous side effects. These can include nervousness, insomnia, nausea, dizziness, headaches and addiction. 

Despite the seriousness surrounding the use of these medications, students aren't fazed. In fact, using drugs such as Ritalin and Dexedrine has become so commonplace that they are being abused for recreational purposes as well; students are taking them as a way to stay up and party all night. Still, the drugs are most often taken for the purpose of studying. One student described these drugs as a \must"" for anyone planning to keep a scholarship, acquire good grades or get into graduate school. Desperate times seem to be calling for desperate measures, even when it means compromising responsible decision-making. 

Abusing prescription meds has become more common even as other drugs, such as No-Doz are being sold over the counter. This drug, accompanied by the slogan ""Safe as a Cup of Coffee,"" leads consumers to believe that is harmless and that taking many doses will produce the same affects as other more familiar caffeinated products. Even excessive use of products like Excedrin could prove to have dangerous side effects, as one dose of Excedrin holds 65 milligrams of caffeine-10 milligrams more than one 12-ounce serving of Mountain Dew. The casual nature of this presumption has led to increased nausea in many users, and in one case, death. While excessive amounts of caffeine are unhealthy in any form, one North Carolina student took 90 pills-a dose equivalent to 250 cups of coffee-without a second thought. Instead of helping him fight sleep, the misuse of these stimulating drugs left this student fighting for his life. 

Consuming these has led to more casual consumption of other, more hazardous drugs such as marijuana. Some students who previously took the narcotic for an occasional high admit that its benefits include a clearer state of mind and more precision with schoolwork. Punishment for the use of these drugs stems from stealing another's prescription medications or from using illegal drugs, and the health consequences are equally detrimental.  

Although a number of students would regard their habits as safe, even avid coffee drinkers are susceptible to health problems. The irritability, tremulousness, muscle twitching and insomnia that often accompany coffee intake can indicate a path toward caffeine addiction that might result in respiratory arrest, heart arrhythmias, palpitations and, in serious cases, even death. Although occasional caffeine intake is not a cause for concern, the risks associated with rising methods of alertness proves that time management and ample sleep might be the only way to avoid stumbling down the path of addiction.  

So the next time you think you need to stay up for a while, just turn up that stereo a little louder. 

Jessica Sprang is a sophomore  

majoring in journalism.