Letters to the editor

Regarding your article on the events that transpired in Scott Straus' Politics of International Human Rights course, \Ideological stand-off forces student to drop class,"" (March 15, 2005), the Cardinal made several factual errors.  

First, the headline of the story is incorrect. The student decided to drop the class after he was informed that he would have to change his behavior (not his thoughts) in the class. Second, Scott Straus is not an incompetent teacher. Objective evaluations of his teaching demonstrate that fact. Third, Scott Straus tries to create a classroom environment in which students feel comfortable sharing their different views.  

Finally, the article ignores the different steps Professor Straus took to work with the student and keep him in the classroom. He communicated with the student in person and in writing outside of class to try to resolve the situation. He discussed the matter with the Director of the International Studies program and with colleagues in the political science department to explore methods to control the student's behavior without squelching discussion in the classroom.  

A more thorough analysis would have revealed a very different picture of Straus' teaching competence, his use of institutional channels for resolving problems in the classroom and his concern over creating an effective learning environment where all students feel comfortable expressing their views. 

I am concerned that your article and editorial may inadvertently mislead readers about what happened in the International Studies program's Politics of Human Rights seminar this semester. 

We asked the Dean of Students to speak with an undergraduate in the class about his disruptive and combative behavior because it was interfering with other students' learning. From the beginning of the semester, our office has heard complaints about Joe McWilliams' interruptions in the class. He repeatedly challenged statements and twisted meanings in a way that caused a fair amount of distress to other undergraduates in the class across the political spectrum. This was a question of appropriate conduct, not ideological conflict. 

You fail to mention in your article that Professor Straus tried repeatedly to improve the climate in the classroom, asking many of his senior colleagues for advice. He is an outstanding teacher, and he handled the conflict with professionalism and grace. As his other students certainly told your reporters, Professor Straus clearly welcomes dissenting views.