Monday, June 17, 2024

Haycock: No Child Left Behind a success

Do not tell Kati Haycock, director of The Education Trust, that the No Child Left Behind Act is a failed piece of legislature.  

Haycock gave the opening presentation of the conference focusing on the No Child Left Behind Act Wednesday at the Pyle Center. The conference, which will present lectures from various educators, will continue through Friday. 

During her presentation, Haycock focused on the success of the No Child Left Behind Act, despite admitting the legislation is not perfect. The data Haycock provided the audience showed signs that the gap between poor and minority students' performance and that of other students has begun to shink. 

Haycock praised the No Child Left Behind Act for holding the schools more accountable for the success of all of their students. She also added the act provides quality teachers and ensures their fair distribution.  

In her presentation, Haycock tried to dispel criticism surrounding the No Child Left Behind Act. Some people argue states should hold themselves accountable, and the federal government did not need to interfere. Haycock countered this opinion by showing how various states gave \A"" grades to poorly-performing schools. Another argument she addressed was that of students' socioeconomic status determining their success. Many believe this makes it pointless to try improve poor schools.  

""What the schools do matters big time,"" Haycock argued, showing data from high achieving poor schools.  

Haycock's final point focused on the state's need to improve. Wisconsin's test scores ranked among the worst of all U.S. states. 

Some people in the audience questioned the disadvantage of getting the government involved in the education system. Haycock responded by saying, ""Laws don't educate kids; teachers and principals do.""  

UW-Madison junior Jennifer Schwasinger said she had mixed feelings about the act before, and now that she saw the data about how much it improved the test scores, she thinks it is a good approach. However, she said she does not agree with the scare tactics the act uses.  

UW-Madison junior Dayla Zimmermann said Haycock gave a good presentation.  

""It picked upon goods things that are happening,"" she said, ""which the liberal departments choose to ignore.\