Flowers, guards run the offense, spur 'D'

The big men were the players who scored in double figures Tuesday night, but it was the play of the guards that stood out the most. Freshman Michael Flowers and senior Sharif Chambliss showed what they could do off the bench while sophomore Kammron Taylor proved he is capable of starting and running the point guard spot. 

Flowers went zero-for-three from the floor with two assists and two turnovers in 14 minutes in the exhibition opener against UW-Parkside, but turned things around, showing his quickness and athleticism Tuesday.  

\Last game I was kind of nervous, but I got support from my teammates and family back home,"" Flowers said. ""That's what changed ... the confidence. The first game I was trying not to mess up, but I feel confident out there now."" 

Flowers finished the game with five points, six rebounds and four steals, playing 22 minutes in the Badgers' 78-44 victory over the Pioneers. 

""I was just trying to stay within my zone out there on the court,"" Flowers said. ""If I had the steal I would go for it and if not then I will try to force a bad shot."" 

It was the hustle and awareness of Flowers and the other guards that played a big part in frustrating UW-Platteville's guards. Senior guard Brad Reitzner, a preseason Division-III All-American, was held to two-of-10 shooting, including one-of-7 from beyond the arc, for just six points. 

""I played against [Flowers] in high school,"" Reitzner said. ""He's a great athlete, both physically and quickness-wise. He's probably the best defender that I'll play against all year."" 

Flowers seemed to be on the ball on every single possession he saw. As a team, the Badgers forced 23 turnovers while committing just nine. More than that, they capitalized off of those turnovers scoring 29 points off turnovers compared to just five for the Pioneers. 

""Coach Ryan believes in Mike. When he gets in, we want productive games from him and tonight he showed what he can do,"" sophomore forward Alando Tucker said. ""We're going to need that energy off the bench."" 

Chambliss joined Flowers coming off the bench and saw 12 minutes of action. In that time he knocked down two three-point shots, had eight points overall and captured two steals. 

Taylor looked more comfortable playing point guard, a good sign heading into the season. Although he was just one-for-six shooting, it was his ability to get the ball to his teammates. He finished with five assists. 

""[The guards] took pretty good care of the ball and got other guys good looks,"" Head Coach Bo Ryan said. ""Sometimes it might not say an assist, but it might have led to an assist. I was pleased with the way, defensively, they made it tough."" 

The play of the other guards may make freshman DeAaron Williams' decision a bit easier. Williams sat out both exhibitions, but has yet to make an official decision on whether or not he will redshirt his freshman season. 

While that may still be up in the air, one thing is for sure: The Badger guards look like they are ready for the regular season to begin. With Taylor and senior Clayton Hanson in the starting lineup and Flowers and Chambliss assisting off the bench, the Badgers have an abundance of talent coming from many different players in many different aspects.