Badgers hope for strong finish

On Oct. 26, 2001, Lisa Zukowski, a former starter on the Wisconsin women's volleyball team, was forced to leave the game and season with an injury. Head Coach Pete Waite could not wait long to find a replacement, needing a capable athlete in a matter of seconds. He chose freshman outside hitter Jill Odenthal to take Zukowski's place. Waite chose well, as Odenthal has been a consistent starter and force since she was unexpectedly forced into the lineup three years ago. 

\At first I panicked. I definitely remember that,"" Odenthal said. ""But then I found my flow. There were a lot of seniors on the team that year and they definitely helped me along the way after getting me started."" 

Odenthal has returned the favor to a team full of a flurry of freshmen and sophomores, exhibiting their leadership throughout their careers and especially this season. Odenthal as well as fellow senior outside hitter and co-captain Marian Weidner play their final matches in the Field House this weekend as the Badgers (10-6 Big Ten, 16-8 overall) face Michigan (8-8, 18-9) and Michigan State (6-10, 11-13) in the last home matches this season. 

""I think that over the years both have been great leaders. You can go to them to play any position on the court. Jill has definitely moved around and Marian has come off the bench the past four years and played everywhere,"" junior outside hitter and co-captain Aubrey Meierotto said.  

Meierotto, one of only two juniors, began her career with Odenthal and Weidner, but four matches into play, she had to redshirt her freshman season because of chronic knee pain. 

""Over the past four years, they've taken up a lot of responsibility,"" she continued. 

Weidner, a defensive specialist, is second on the team, digging 2.27 balls per game. She also averages 2.73 kills per game while Odenthal spikes down 3.05 balls per game, second behind junior middle blocker Sheila Shaw. 

They will have to bring their ""A"" game this weekend to stop a three-game losing streak, which has helped bump up Illinois into a tie with the Badgers for fourth place in the Big Ten. Though Wisconsin lost to top-25 teams Illinois, Penn State and Ohio State, they cannot afford any more losses if they want to host an NCAA first-round game once the regular season ends Nov. 27. 

""We just didn't click well at all. It was an off night when there is no one thing that we can pinpoint to as to the reason we lost,"" Meierotto said, referring to the loss against No. 8 OSU last Saturday. ""We've been working on our defense and working together. Last weekend we played as individuals."" 

Wisconsin's defense played well against the Michigan teams one month ago, beating the Wolverines 3-1 and sweeping the Spartans.  

Against Michigan, Weidner led the team with a career-high 21 kills while Odenthal was second with 17. The seniors, who were both named to Volleyball Magazine's ""Fab 50"" high school spikers as seniors in the 2000 season, served two aces against the Spartans. 

""Marian Weidner came off the bench and really sparked us,"" Waite said following the match. 

Weidner, as well as Shaw and freshman libero Jocelyn Wack, will have to be on the defensive against Michigan's sophomore outside hitter duo of Erin Cobler and Danielle Pflum. Both had 15 kills one month ago. Saturday Odenthal, Meierotto and Shaw will have to find ways to hit the ball around MSU junior libero Marley Bellwood, who had 17 digs last time against Wisconsin. 

Odenthal said her best memories of her volleyball career have been on the court of the Field House, including 2001's Big Ten Championship and this year's upset over then-No. 2 Minnesota Oct. 30.  

Wisconsin performs best when on their own court, they own a 10-3 record. On the road, they stand 4-5. And Odenthal knows when she steps out onto the court for the final time Saturday evening, her emotions will overtake her and it will most likely be another addition to great moments at Wisconsin. 

""It will be emotional. Most of my family will be here and they have backed me, being here every game in the stands,"" Odenthal said. ""It will be sad because it's coming to an end. But, I'll be happy too because it feels like I have accomplished something.\