Feingold, Michels will offer sharply differing viewpoints

Although former Army Airborne Ranger Tim Michels emerged as the victorious Republican senatorial nominee Tuesday, the real battle for the U.S. Senate position has just begun. 

In an upset victory, Michels, with 41 percent of the vote, captured the Republican nomination, defeating GOP candidates Russ Darrow, Robert Welch and Bob Lorge. 

Many Darrow supporters said low voter turnout cost the wealthy car dealer the nomination.  

\A candidate who focuses on a few key issues and has a small number of intense supporters can have an advantage over a candidate with very broad appeal in a low-voter turnout,"" said UW-Madison political science professor Byron Shafer.  

Despite contention, Michels' victory Tuesday signifies the beginning of his campaign against incumbent U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold, a Democrat running for his third term.  

The race between Feingold and Michels promises to involve many sharp contradictions.  

Feingold, a UW-Madison graduate, supports gay rights and voted against the USA Patriot Act and against legislation that placed restrictions on abortions.  

Michels, a graduate of St. Norbert College in De Pere, Wis., says he believes strongly in the war on terror and is a staunch supporter of the USA Patriot Act. He is also strongly anti-abortion.  

Also, UW-Madison political science professor G. Donald Ferree said both candidates differ on how to handle key issues such as the economy, the current budget crisis and social security.  

Feingold has already challenged Michels to up to five debates, a political move rarely made by incumbents who usually want to give their opponent as little exposure as possible. 

""We feel that the time is now for answers,"" said John Kraus, spokesperson for the Feingold Senate Committee. ""The people of Wisconsin deserve a debate on the issues that matter.""  

If the move for a debate is a sign of confidence, Feingold may have good reason. He currently has more than $2.8 million in his campaign coffers, nearly twice the amount of Michels.  

Also, Feingold is still showing high numbers in popularity ratings, which puts pressure on Michels to be aggressive in his efforts to discredit Feingold.  

""Clearly, the challenger has to make a case why the incumbent should not return to office. However, he has to be fair in his attacks or this strategy could backfire,"" Ferree said.  

Shafer said he is confident Feingold will be back for another term, citing too many obstacles for Michels to overcome. Still, if Feingold's unlikely victory over incumbent Robert Kasten in 1992 is any indication, a victory is never assured.  

""There's roughly two months left before [Nov. 2],"" Ferree said. ""There's a lot of time for something to happen.\