Area businesses anticipate Halloween mayhem

State Street business owners are taking action in order to deter violence and riots this Halloween. In addition to the larger police force, business owners will be doing everything from staying the night in their stores to hiring private security. 

\I am going to hire two or three private security guards, and I am going to be here until close at four in the morning,"" said Mark Wilson, owner of Taco Bell, 534 State St. Wilson has usually increased his food sales on Halloween, but has lost property to Halloween rioters in the past few years, including chairs, napkin holders and a shattered front door. 

However, not all businesses have been so unfortunate.  

""We haven't had a lot of problems on Halloween,"" said Brian Holker, manager of State Street Brats, 603 State St. Holker attributes the business' success to extra employees that care and keep things safe, a lowered crowd capacity, good communication between employees and meetings with officers before Halloween. Jake Gosdeck, State Street Brats head bouncer and bartender, added they are also located right next to University Inn, 441 N. Frances St., the base for Madison police officers during Halloween. He said this allows officers to respond quickly to any complaints or problems. 

Despite the problems businesses face every Halloween, the majority of business owners would not like to see the holiday celebration eliminated, which is a possible alternative if damages continue to escalate. 

""Shop owners don't want State Street to just be for the older crowd,"" said Sandi Torkildson, president of the Greater State Street Business Association. ""We used to be young and State Street should be enjoyed by young people too.""  

She added that she knows a majority of Halloween party-goers are rational, law-abiding citizens and that only a few feel the need to be damaging. She said she hopes the crowd can make the atmosphere fun while simultaneously suppressing violence and destructive behavior. 

Some suggestions she proposed, other than influencing the overall atmosphere, include establishing a large group of volunteers to help business owners secure their store, increasing lighting so rioters do not get the feeling of anonymity, and having owners and employees make themselves visible through the store windows to show rioters that they are actually hurting people, not just breaking windows. 

""I really just hope things go well this year,"" Torkildson said.