5 things to watch against the Nittany Lions

1. Stretch the Penn State defense 

Since senior running back Anthony Davis left in the middle of the UCF game with an eye injury, the Badgers have struggled to find consistent offense. While sophomore quarterback John Stocco has done a nice job of avoiding costly mistakes in his first three collegiate starts, he has yet to show the arm strength the coaching staff bragged of during spring practice. That will have to change against a Penn State defense that has allowed only 261 rushing yards this year. Built around defensive linemen sophomore Jay Alford and junior Tamba Hali, the Penn State front seven is one of the best the Badgers will face all year. If Stocco doesn't show that he can throw a deep pass, the Nittany Lions will be able to put nine men in the box, making it a long day for sophomore Booker Stanley and freshman Jamil Walker. Trying to go the downfield early will not only set the tone for the game, but will also let Stocco find his rhythm, something he didn't do until the fourth quarter of the Arizona game. 

2. Finish off drives 

With their struggles on offense, the Badgers have to make the most out of every red zone opportunity. They were unable to do this last week, stalling twice upon moving the ball inside the Arizona 10 yard line. One reason for this is Barry Alvarez's tendency to take his already conservative offense, and make it even more so when the Badgers enter the red zone. They rely mostly on runs and swing passes, not taking chances on throws into the end zone. While this is understandable considering Stocco's relative inexperience, Wisconsin needs him to step up and make some plays in the red zone.  

3. Zack-attack 

The Badgers' secondary faces its toughest challenge of the young season this week as they face Penn State senior quarterback Zack Mills. Mills, who went 19-of-22 with two touchdowns and two INTs last week, is Penn State's all-time leading passer, throwing for 6,081 yards. If given time to make his reads, Mills can pick apart secondaries, but has a tendency to force throws when rushed. Penn State's receivers are undersized and will not come down with many jump balls. If the Badgers' defensive line, which had three sacks last week and has totaled nine in the year, can keep Mills from getting into a rhythm, the Badgers' secondary should have a chance to make some big plays. Penn State has an additional threat in junior Michael Robinson, the versatile player who is a solid backup for Mills and can rush the ball with the best of them. 

4. Go straight up the gut 

Penn State's sophomore Paul Posluszny, who leads the team in tackles continues in the tradition of solid linebacking at Penn State. Posluszny is a hard-hitter who is exceptionally quick to the ball. This makes it hard for opposing teams to run outside on Penn State, as Posluszny often gets to the corner before opposing running backs. Where he and the rest of the Penn State linebackers struggle is when the ball is run directly at them.The Badgers will have to run behind their guards and take advantage of the 100-pound weight difference between Posluszny and any of the Badger linemen if they hope to move the ball successfully on the ground. 

5. Keep your head in the game 

The Badgers and the Nittany Lions have two of the strongest defenses in the league. That means touchdowns will come as a result of field position, instead of long scoring drives. Because of this the Badgers must avoid penalties, on offense or defense, and turnovers. Walker and Stanley both fumbled last week against Arizona, and will have to do a better job protecting the ball this week. Don't be surprised if this game is decided by a late turnover.