Wiley: Students will not directly pay for bus passes

In the midst of negotiations between the Associated Students of Madison and Madison Metro Transit System concerning the cost for student bus passes for next year, UW-Madison officials say they are working to ensure that students will receive bus pass service next year. 

\We're trying to keep the cost as low as possible,"" said Lamarr Billups, special assistant for University Administration who has been working with ASM on these negotiations. 

Chancellor John Wiley said he realizes that the bus system is an important service for students as well as faculty. 

""Some of [the funds come] directly out of [segregated] fees,"" Wiley said. ""The university at large is paying money to the metro as well for employees."" 

Aaron Werner, Student Services Finance Committee chair, said they had already set the amount of money going to ASM bus passes next year while ASM was negotiating with Madison Metro. 

""We addressed it to the point where if they want to negotiate over that, it's their money,"" Werner said. 

""If there's money extra, it will go back to students,"" Werner added. 

ASM Bus Pass Advisor Margaret Bergamini said ASM has made an agreement with Madison Metro not to comment about the situation until an agreement has been reached. 

Billups added it would be ""counterproductive"" to discuss negotiations at this point. 

""I don't want to talk about negotiations while they are going on,"" Billups said. ""That would defeat the purpose."" 

While ASM and Madison Metro have not yet reached an agreement, Chancellor Wiley said he anticipates extra spending for bus passes next year.  

""Madison Metro wants to greatly increase the cost of the student bus pass,"" Wiley said. ""Individual students will not have to pay per ride."" 

Billups said he believes the Metro raised the price to account for increasing gas prices. 

""The cost for just the operation of the transit system all over the country is going up, and I assume gasoline's a big part of that,"" Billups said. 

Werner said he could not speculate as to when ASM and Madison Metro will come to an agreement. 

""It should have been done by now,"" Werner said.  

""It probably is going to cost a little more for everyone next year, but I don't know how much,"" Wiley said.