University cuisine not that horrible

When one thinks about cafeteria food, images of mystery meat, lunch ladies, and food fights usually come to mind. But here at the UW, those are more or less a thing of the past. Dormitory dining may still be a far cry from gourmet, but you might be surprised what one swipe of your WisCard can buy. 

The largest and most well-known university cafeteria is Pop's Club, a lunchtime hotspot for freshmen and home to the infamous Sandwich Man. Open at almost any time of the day, Pop's offers a changing selection of entrees as well as a cereal, salad and sandwich bar. The comfortable booths, seasonal decorations and real flowers on the tables make Pop's a welcoming environment for dorm residents and visitors alike. 

Aside from the atmosphere, however, Pop's frequenters can find plenty of room for improvement. Many students living in the southeast dorms eat at Pop's at least once a day, and it isn't long before it seems like they've had grilled cheese for lunch and dinner everyday for a month. 

\The main thing is the lack of variety,"" UW sophomore and Sellery resident Sara Schumaker said. ""I'm sick of chicken sandwiches; [the food] could be a lot better."" 

Pop's diners also complain about the long lines at peak meal times, sometimes stretching to the door and lasting over 20 minutes. But in addition to these complaints, students appreciate the low prices and overall quality compared to other universities they've visited. 

If you still want to use your trusty food account but avoid the crowds, try dining at Liz Waters. Although the overwhelming amount of females may be intimidating for some, Liz is by far the nicest and most inviting cafeteria on campus. Low-fat, vegetarian and vegan options are their specialty, but they also offer enough variety to appease every type of eater.  

The most impressive part of Liz is definitely the atmosphere. With a comfortable dining room, glass-enclosed patio and outdoor eating area, diners feel like they're at a hotel or restaurant instead of a cafeteria. UW sophomore and Pop's frequenter Audra Blackburn was very impressed with her first visit to Liz. 

""I silenced my cell phone, I felt like I was in a fancy restaurant,"" she said. ""If I didn't have to walk all the way across campus to get there, I would eat at Liz almost every night."" 

The other university cafeterias, Chad Caf?? and Frank's Place, fall somewhere between Pop's and Liz in terms of quality, according to some students. In general, where they decide to eat is simply a matter of preference. Students looking for a quiet dining experience tend to opt for Liz or Frank's, but those who eat at unusual times prefer Chad and Pop's for their less limited hours. 

For those students who've outgrown their housing meal plan or are just plain sick of dorm food, many good options remain without having to visit the ATM. The Lakefront on Langdon, which opened March 1 in the Memorial Union, has something for everyone. They offer everything from salads to stir fry, including featured daily grilled items and a pizza slice of the day. The quality of the food is noticeably better than the dorms and only slightly more expensive, with many entrees under $6. 

As far as the atmosphere, the Lakefront parallels or possibly betters that of Liz Waters. The brand new dining room overlooks the terrace and the lake, making it a great place to eat, study and catch up with old friends. 

Also found in the Memorial Union is the old standby, Der Rathskellar. As a campus landmark, it's a place every student must go just to say they've been there. Although the food is nothing special, the location (and the dungeon-like eating area) makes it a good option for fast, affordable carry-out.  

Even more convenient than the Rathskellar is Ingraham Deli. Located in Ingraham Hall, hence the name, the Deli is the best place on campus to get a quick snack between classes. Although some of their biggest sellers are breakfast items like muffins, pastries and, of course, coffee, employee Denise Wilson says they have a lot to offer for lunch as well. Between 11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. everyday, many students use their Campus Cash to get hot dogs, tacos, soup, or chili. Dining space is limited, but customers can take their food outside and enjoy the great spring weather. 

So instead of scrambling for cash or rushing home between classes to eat, try one of these convenient campus eateries for a change. Each one offers more variety than any fast food restaurant on State Street and is usually easier on your wallet. They may not be glamorous and they probably won't impress a date, but as far as cafeterias go, Madison has some of the best.