Bush promotes economy, free trade

APPLETON, Wis.-Making a tour of states likely to be close in the November elections, President Bush assured Wisconsin business entrepreneurs Tuesday the state of the nation's economy is steadily improving and also promoted free trade and defended his role in the war on terror. 

\Clearly we're in the midst of a very strong economic recovery,"" Bush said, adding that Wisconsin's unemployment rate of 5 percent is well below the national average.  

According to Bush, his administration faced several challenges to the nation's economy, one being the Sept. 11 attacks, causing the country to lose 1 million jobs. 

He defended his action to go to war against terror and Iraq, saying one of the lessons he learned from Sept. 11 was to deal with a threat before it materializes.  

Bush said he, Congress and the United Nations thought Saddam Hussein's regime was a direct threat to the nation's security. 

""So I had a choice to make. Do I trust the word of a madman, or do I take action to defend America? Given the choice, I will defend our country every time,"" he said.  

Yet, Bush said, the nation has now overcome this hurdle. The economy is going through a fundamental change and is growing, he said. 

To maintain this steady growth, Bush said the nation needs to be able to compete and stay away from economic isolationism. He did not directly mention Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., but said his opponent would ""build walls around America"" and minimize free trade. 

""Trade means welcoming foreign capital here in the United States for employing people. Open trade means fair trade,"" he said.  

Wisconsin's exports were worth $11.5 billion in 2003. Bush said more exports mean more jobs, and said the nation must be competitive.  

""I believe this nation can compete any time, anywhere, any place, so long as the rules are fair,"" he said.  

Bush was well-received by the audience, and Appleton Chamber of Commerce Chair Bill Welch said Bush has led the country through challenging times. 

Yet, Linda Honold, chair of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin, said in a press release the speech was a taxpayer-funded campaign rally. 

""If George Bush really wanted to help the people of Wisconsin, he should have left Air Force One in the hanger and tried to make some real changes in Wisconsin,"" she said.  

Bush said the country is comprised of risk-takers, adding citizens must continue to work together.  

""Our strength lies in the hearts and souls of our citizens,"" he said, adding there is ""nothing we can't overcome.\