Speakers explain gambling, crime relationship

Milwaukee County District Attorney E. Michael McCann and national gambling expert John Kindt outlined the link between gambling and embezzlement Monday in a press conference hosted by the grassroots organization No Dane CasiNO. 

David Relles, organizer of No Dane CasiNO, said Kindt told those at the conference to brace themselves, because there will be a significant crime increase if voters approve the expansion of DeJope Bingo and Entertainment, 4002 Evan Acres Rd.  

\There is no doubt. Crime, crime and more crime is what voters can expect if they allow more gambling,"" Kindt said, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.  

McCann said embezzlement cases and casino gambling are closely linked, adding there is a large amount of corruption associated with casinos. 

Relles said he warned those in attendance of ""crime potentially even doubling"" after the expansion. 

McCann also appealed to Wisconsin's clean and progressive history, and was concerned with what the proposed expansion would mean for the state. 

Responding to the argument that human services organizations have not noticed an increase in gambling addiction with a new casino, McCann said that is because many compulsive gamblers are ashamed to admit they have a problem.  

""People who are that ashamed won't go for help,"" said Relles, agreeing with McCann's statement. 

Dane County District Attorney Brian Blanchard also spoke at the conference, outlining the specific types of crime associated with casino gambling. 

The referendum for the expansion of DeJope is Feb. 17.