Saturday, June 15, 2024

Recognize sexual assaults

We would rather not think about sexual assault, but sometimes it cannot be ignored. Last week, our campus was shocked when three sexual assaults were reported in just three days, including one in Ogg Hall. Our awareness was raised and it provoked a much-needed discussion about the prevalence of sexual assault on our campus. To fully address this problem, we need to take a difficult look at it. 

We need to understand the alarming extent to which sexual assault pervades our university. One in eight undergrad women will be raped by her fourth year. Even higher percentages face unwelcome sexual contact. Many college men face assault too, including one in six who arrive here as survivors of childhood sexual abuse. As high as these numbers are, UW is no more dangerous than other universities. The statistics are consistent across the nation. 

We need to understand who the perpetrators are. Although we hear about assaults by strangers more often, more than 80 percent are committed by acquaintances disregarding the rights of others. But the result is traumatic no matter who the assaulter is. Despite how terrifying it is, we must see that the danger can come from a friend, a date, the person you met last night at the bar and not only a stranger in the dark.  

We need to understand that anyone can be victimized. Sexual assault can happen in any situation to anyone regardless of sex, gender, age, race, sexual orientation or any other category. But as frightening as the facts are, we cannot live our lives in fear. We are strong, and together, we can end sexual assault on our campus.  

So what can you do? How can we stop this? We are told not to walk alone and to look out for friends. While these tips may help reduce risk, they are not perfect. True prevention involves being proactive. Talk to friends. Think about your conduct in relationships with others. Volunteer for the Rape Crisis Center, Campus Women's Center, Multicultural Student Collation, or LGBT. Join Promoting Awareness and Victim Empowerment or Men Making a Difference, or attend events to learn more.  

We must recognize the extent of the problem and recognize the experiences of all survivors of sexual assault. Only by continuing to explore the issue of sexual assault will we begin to make our university a safer place for everyone. We really can make a difference.