Overture project worries downtown business owners

While the Madison Overture Project is gentrifying the State Street area and augmenting the city's cultural community, the project is ousting some local retail owners. 

\Construction has gone very smoothly, with no problems whatsoever,"" said Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4. 

Susan Schmitz, president of Downtown Madison Inc., said the project is slated to be finished Sept. 18. 

""The process has been very open,"" she said. ""The plan is absolutely beautiful. The people we finally got to work on the team are Madison groups and natives. They understand the importance of [the project] and they've done a great job."" 

The process of organizing and constructing the Overture Center itself has been a long time coming, Schmitz said. 

""It's been five years since the approval of the State Street Strategic Plan of Dec. 7, 1999,"" she said. ""It's taken a long time,, but that makes for a better project."" 

Verveer said he is especially happy Madison arts groups will have no problem scheduling performances. This had been a constant struggle in the past with residents haggling over scheduling times, but now it will be alleviated.  

""It's really an amazing resource for not only the community as a whole, but for, in particular, the downtown community and the UW-student body,"" he said. ""It will provide numerous opportunities to students, especially those involved and interested in the arts to get more involved."" 

Verveer added the project is beneficial to the community and will enhance Madison's culture. 

But not everything is peachy, especially for some State Street business owners.  

""Naturally, I hate this project,"" said Carl Armstrong, owner of Radical Rye, 231 State St. Armstrong said he must move out of his present location by April 1, after which his current building is going to be demolished to make way for a three-story atrium for the Overture Project.  

Armstrong said he thought the Overture Project could have been built around his present building, adding he does not think it needs all the space it is getting. 

""Madison has lost a half dozen stores to this project on this block, and they were all thriving,"" Armstrong said. ""I'm just hoping the Overture Center doesn't become another white elephant for Madison. It might do great things, but I'm not confident of that."" 

Verveer said people might think they will not be able to afford to go to any of the shows, but they will not have to worry. There will be free shows, especially when the Overture Center celebrates its grand opening. Verveer said the opening will feature shows with free admission from artists with Wisconsin roots. 

For more information on the project, Schmitz said people should visit http://www.cityofmadison.com.