Music to watch for in 2004

The year 2004 is finally upon us, bringing with it a leap year, another 252,979,200 seconds of sleep for the healthy minded, and yet another agonizing series of weekends I'll wake up hungover and unable to listen to the best releases expected to come out this year . Here is what I am looking forward to being unable to listen to.  

Last years EP has set high expectations for TV on the Radio's March LP . Their unique garage-meets-soul sound will make for the most unique, if not best sounding record of 2004.  

Franz Ferdinand has become England's entrant into the album-of-the-year-race. A combination of 80's rock and classic punk, their single \Darts of Pleasure"" became a UK hit. A widely anticipated full length album is expected in 2004.  

While not the most electrifying, the most ambitious album of the year may be from ex-Helium, ex-Sparklehorse member Mascot. Oddly alluring, her third effort sounds like Run to Ruin era Nina Nastasia with a big hug: a slow and lumbering take on sunshine pop.  

2004 may be the year of the reunion. Much has been made of The Pixies and Tribe Called Quest reformations, but onetime indie staples Mission of Burma have been signed for their first album since the '80's. Best known for writing what would become the Moby hit ""That's When I Reach For My Revolver,"" Mission of Burma was uniquely aggressive and melodic at the same time.  

No band has set a higher bar for an upcoming release than Wilco, whose was not just the best album of its year, but among the best of its time. 

Outside of rock, expect the indie hip hop scene to slowly continue taking over music. With the public finally buying Atmosphere's good record, and the European smash hit Dizzee Rascal finding an American distribution deal in Matador, rappers like Madlib, and Soul Position, have their greatest chance to court crossover fans.  

Perhaps the most shocking music in 2004 won't be on an album, but on the radio. Corporate monolith Clear Channel will introduce an 'indie' radio format to complement genres like top 40 and hard rock. 

And if I am ever to listen to any of these, I'll be thrilled.