Immigrants deserve general amnesty

Presently, there exists a rare and widespread agreement about key questions regarding immigration. Essentially a majority from across the spectrum agree that current U.S. immigration policy is deeply flawed. However, there is also much agreement that the recently proposed Bush \plan"" for policy reform is under the best circumstances only an election year bid to win Latino voters over and at worst a throwback to the exploitative Bracero program with the potential to solidify an underclass of temporary labor.  

The issue of immigration is such a contentious one in the United States because it encompasses a series of societal flash points including labor competition, racism and fears about security. The debate has been clouded by the age-old practice of scapegoating and demonizing the most prevalent immigrant group from the Irish at the turn of the century to Mexicans today.  

Politicians and other opinion leaders have continually tried to play up American's nativist feelings by exaggerating the impact of immigrants on job competition and blaming them for a variety of societal problems. In reality, immigrants to the United States contribute far more than they consume. Therefore, the issue should be framed as how do we best utilize this unique human energy and ensure that all are treated with justice. False fears and anti-immigrant rhetoric aside, the only just solution is that of a general amnesty for workers already within the United States, a demilitarization of the border to save lives and curb exploitative black market border agents, and extended international cooperation to deal with the economic and social inequalities that force widespread immigration. 

Immigrant workers provide a backbone of the American economy and contribute far more than they receive. The National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences estimates that ""the typical immigrant and their children pay an estimated $80,000 more in taxes that they receive in local, state, and federal benefits."" The council also found that foreign workers fill labor shortages, diversify the worker skill base and young workers are maintaining the viability of the social security system. Immigrant workers are essential in service and agricultural industries but also bring an innovative and entrepreneurial spirit as witnessed by growing numbers of immigrant-owned businesses.  

The remilitarization of the border in the past five years has created a human rights disaster. Rather than stemming the flow of people, it has forced them into increasingly dangerous situations. People have been forced into remote desert crossings or else into the service of border ""coyotes."" Coyotes charge outrageous amounts to bring groups across in unsafe conditions. People are literally dying-from exposure in the harsh deserts and even when crossing with coyotes. Additionally, Mexican-Americans living in border areas are subject to racial profiling and harassment by border agents. Amnesty International, a global human rights watchdog, has documented the abuses and called for reform.  

Those that make the journey are greeted by harsh and hostile conditions in the United States. While many businesses rely on undocumented workers they are able to use workers' legal status to keep wages low. Businesses use threats of deportation to prevent workers from organizing for higher wages or better conditions. The current immigration policy, as well as the Bush ""reform,"" help to create a permanent underclass of low paid workers.  

Global economic inequalities create many of the ""push"" factors for immigration. Attempting to stem immigration by militarization is futile because individuals are facing situations in which they have no opportunities and therefore are forced to take great risks; it is not a matter of deterrence. The unequal nature of the global system is exagerrated by recent international agreements that have given more rights to corporations than to individuals, and allow the free flight of capital while maintaining restrictions on the movement of labor. In principle, companies are forced to treat workers well because if they do not, the workers have the choice to work at a different place, freeing capital and restricting labor eliminates this balance and traps workers into exploitative situations. 

Immigrant workers are vital both economically and socially but they are currently suffering at the crux of a variety of exploitative forces. International economic inequalities, free trade agreements that favor corporations desire for low-wage labor, flawed U.S. immigration law and hostile attitudes based on false myths all combine to force many people into situations where they have few choices and opportunities. A just and general amnesty within the United States and greater international cooperation and reform is essential to end human rights abuses and prevent the creation of a permanent underclass.