Bush: State of union 'confident and strong'

Nearly ten months before Americans head to the polls, Bush delivered an optimistic State of the Union Address Tuesday night, defending his administration both on the homefront and abroad, and encouraging Americans to move forward with confidence. 

In his address to the joint session of congress, Bush cited progress in the war on terrorism, praising troops and the capture of Saddam Hussein, defending his attempt to uncover weapons of mass destruction and extolling progress against foreign terrorists, but warned of 'unfinished work.'  

\Our greatest responsibility is the active defense of the American people,"" Bush said. ""The terrorists continue to plot against America and the civilized world. And by our will and courage, this danger will be defeated."" 

Bush praised the Patriot Act as an ""essential tool"" in homeland security, encouraging its renewal upon its expiration next year. 

Emphasized the turn of the economy, Bush acknowledged the tax relief as a success and called to make cuts permanent. 

""We have come through recession, and terrorist attack, and corporate scandals, and the uncertainties of war. And because you acted to stimulate our economy with tax relief, this economy is strong, and growing stronger,"" Bush said. 

In an attempt to appeal to conservatives, his core constituency, Bush voiced strong support for marriage as a ""union of man an woman,"" and called for double federal funding to promote abstinence programs in schools. 

Anthony Pizer, a UW-Madison graduate, said if Bush wants to give people freedom, he should not oppose same sex marriage, nor should he promote abstinence.  

In addition, Bush defended the no child left behind act, called for reform of immigration laws and health care systems and proposed measures to ensure job creation. 

Bush also addressed criticisms of Democratic presidential hopeful Howard Dean with political shots saying, ""America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our people."" 

""It was the strongest line in the speech. It wasn't just a shot at France and Germany, it was probably a shot at Dean,"" said Stephen Lucas, UW-Madison professor of communication arts. 

Virginia Shapiro, UW-Madison political science professor, said Bush's address was well-delivered but noted the evident divide between parties. 

""You could see how clearly partisan congress is that through most of it you see the republicans standing up, going crazy applauding and the democrats sitting there often with Teddy Kennedy looking like he just wanted to throw up or something. Only occasionally could he get everybody on their feet.\