Amid pending override, Doyle addresses state

Gov. Jim Doyle addressed concealed carry, minimum wage and Medicare, among other issues in his State of the State address Wednesday in the Assembly Chambers of the state Capitol. 

Doyle said Wisconsin has made significant improvements since facing a $3.2 billion deficit in 2003, but said the state still has to focus on improving jobs, environmental regulations and moving past party politics. 

\We must stay focused on the priorities that matter most--education, health care and jobs,"" he said. 

The Senate began debating its override of Doyle's concealed carry veto yesterday afternoon, and in the face of the Republicans, Doyle stood by his decision. 

""And I stood with 65 Wisconsin sheriffs ... and every major law enforcement group in the state, to fight to uphold our 130 year ban on concealed weapons,"" he said, drawing an ovation from the Democrats. 

State Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, said he was pleased Doyle reinforced his decision despite the Republicans' efforts to reverse it on the same day of his speech. 

Doyle also told the Legislature it is time the state increase the minimum wage of $5.15 an hour, eliciting cheers from the Democrats. 

The state took steps last year to reform health care costs, and according to Doyle, he wants citizens to be able to buy prescription drugs from Canada, reducing costs and eliminating many seniors' need to choose between prescription drugs and food. 

Senate Majority Leader Mary Panzer, R-West Bend, said while everyone in the Legislature wants to get things working again in the state, Doyle has to keep in mind the budget crisis is not over. She also said Doyle must prove to citizens and the Legislature that buying prescription drugs from Canada is safe and effective.  

State Rep. John Gard, R-Peshtigo, said he hopes Doyle is willing to work with Republicans on the legislation he proposed in the speech. 

""If not, we're not going to sit around and wait for him to change his mind,"" he said. 

Panzer said the speech was upbeat and tried to focus on the Legislature's commonalities. However, according to state Sen. Theodore Kanavas, R-Brookfield, the speech was too self-congratulatory and resembled a re-election speech.  

""One side of the house was represented too much,"" he said of the speech. ""It was like the sound of one hand clapping.\