Sunday, June 16, 2024

Ralliers condemn health care costs, tax cuts

UW-Madison students, labor unions and community members totaling approximately 100 people rallied outside the state Capitol Friday and sang \Songs for Angry Workers"" to the rhythm of Christmas carols. These songs were objections to increased health care premiums, raises in tuition and tax cuts for the wealthy. 

Dawn Biehler, chair of the publicity committee of the Teaching Assistants' Association, said the state is failing to offer wages that accommodate the increases in the cost of living. 

""And yet, at the same time, the state is offering tax cuts and other incentives to businesses,"" she said. ""[This] means that really the state budget is being balanced on our backs."" 

Along with worker pay cuts, tuition and health care costs are rising. These are not only threats to the TAA, but to other state unions as well, Biehler said. Members of several Wisconsin unions are worried they will not be able to afford to send their children to UW-Madison, Biehler said. 

""And if we had to pay anything for health care ... it makes it harder for the university to attract really talented graduate students,"" she said. ""We're concerned about the quality of education here."" 

Eric Robson, representative of the American Federal State County Municipal Employees Local 171, addressed the issue of increased tuition and said more wealthy people are attending the university at the expense of those with lower income. 

""Of course, [the state] tells us [it is] because there's no money,"" he said. ""But again, when it comes to making tax cuts, they find the money. It's time they start finding some of the money for us as well."" 

Several speakers said it is not a budget crisis, but a distribution crisis. It is a matter of giving priority to the wealthy, Robson said. 

MaryLou Herman, representative of AFSCME Local 2412, also joined in the march up State Street to the Capitol. She said she wanted to be a part of the rally to support universal quality health care. 

""It's been fun,"" Herman said. ""I love singing songs. If there was snow, it'd be even more fun."" 

Some other groups present included Student Labor Action Coalition, Associated Students of Madison, Coalition for Wisconsin Health and a few Tyson strikers. 

""We're really building solidarity with those groups,"" Biehler said.