Sunday, June 16, 2024

Weiler 'Weathers' her label leap

Fargo, N.D. native Brenda Weiler's ambitious new album, , is a leap into a more mature and experimental realm for the young singer. Since her 1998 release and 1999's , her music has progressed from stark acoustic tunes about body image and youth to eloquent, rich songs about love and longing. Although she still creates beautiful acoustic pieces, many of her newer songs are more complex and are loaded with layers of instrumentation and vocals. Gems such as \Christmas Sweater"" and ""Honolulu, Minnesota"" are pure and simple, showing Weiler's vocal ability as well as finely honed songwriting skill. Weiler's music, like Weiler herself, is moving and growing and is a beautiful record of where she is right now. The Daily Cardinal recently spoke with Weiler about women in music, inspirations and the future of her music. 

: What brought you out to Portland and Virt Records? 

: I was based out of Minneapolis for about four years or so, and I'd always been in the Midwest. A lot of it was just wanting a change of scenery and also to base myself somewhere else. 

: You recorded Cold Weather in Minneapolis. Do you come back to the Twin Cities to record? 

: For this one I did. I moved out to Portland a little over a year ago. For this album I came back because I have all my contacts in Minneapolis, and guys I've played with that I wanted involved in this album. 

: You come from a very musical family. Did they support your decision when you chose to pursue music instead of going to college? 

: Oh yeah. They've always been totally supportive and have been proud of what I've been able to do. I think they thought, 'Hmm... Oookay!' It snowballed, and they've been excited for me ever since. 

: Who are your musical influences, and who are you listening to these days? 

: In high school is when I really started listening to a lot of songwriters, especially women. You know, the typical-Tori Amos, Tracy Chapman, Patty Griffin, Jonathan Brooks, PJ Harvey, Liz Phair. 

: When you released your first album in '98 it was the height of of Lilith Fair and whatnot. Do you think that benefited how quickly you caught on?  

: Oh yeah. I think the presence of women in the music scene is so much more prominent, and they dominate the charts in a lot of ways. I think it opened up a kind of awareness that women are able to do it, not only the music stuff, but the business side as well. A lot of women started their own labels, started recording on their own and toured on their own. You don't have to have a huge company or establishment behind you. You can do it on your own. It was encouraging for me. 

: Trickle Down and Crazy Happy were more acoustic and had different themes than you have been recording lately. Cold Weather seems to be more somber than your earlier albums. What has brought you here, and where are you going next? 

: It's been a gradual process. A lot of it has just been growing up. My first two albums I recorded when I was 18 and 19, and the issues I was thinking about were more self-centered or self-aware, and a lot more autobiographical stuff. The newer stuff is just more mature and I think the subject matter is a little bit more subtle.  

: What are your future plans? 

: The immediate future plans are to tour and get this album out there and try to get as many people to hear it. I feel that it's the best work I've done, and I'm really proud of it.