Sunday, June 16, 2024

Badgers gain late-season momentum

The Wisconsin women's soccer team defeated UW-Green Bay 3-0 in its last regular season game Sunday. It was the last time for the seniors to take the field before the Big Ten Tournament gets underway this week. 

Senior forward Jenny Kundert made the most of her last opportunity with a goal and an assist. She scored the first goal of the game, at the 12-minute mark, off fellow senior, defender Bethany Heine's corner kick. The Badgers scored again in the second half, when junior midfielder Molly Muere found Kundert alone two yards out from the right goal post. Kundert's pass across the box to freshman midfielder Kara Kabellis was on target as Kabellis flicked the ball in behind Phoenix senior goaltender Nora Kaitfors. 

Wisconsin put the nail in the coffin when freshman forward Rachael Hansen put in an unassisted goal from 12 yards out, with a little over five minutes left in the game.  

\[We] completed a real solid 90 minutes, with [a] dominating first half,"" UW Head Coach Dean Duerst said. ""They finished it up with a solid second half."" 

A key element in this victory was the Badgers' defense. They held UW-Green Bay to three shots all game, two of which were on goal. Freshman goalie Stefani Szczechowski had another stellar game and will start on Thursday against Penn State in Wisconsin's opening-round contest in the Big Ten Tournament.  

Though she saved all the shots that came her way, her most impressive play was preventing a scoring opportunity. On a breakaway, when Green Bay freshman forward Gwen Zimmerman got behind the Badger's defense, Szczechowski came from her position in goal to make a nice sliding tackle, knocking the ball away from Zimmerman and preventing an easy goal.  

With the exception of two breakaways, both of which ended without a shot, the defense made it an easy game for the young goalie. There were just two shots on goal and both were soft lobs right to Szczechowski.  

""Our whole team has been playing very well, especially our defense ... I'm very confident in my team,"" Szcezechowski said.  

Her confidence is well-placed, since the Badgers have only had three shots against their goal in the last two games.  

The defense outfought UWGB in what was a very physical game between two in-state rivals. Free kicks were fairly common, as the referees called both sides for rough tackles and excessive contact. The game was also stopped three times for injuries, although none proved to be serious. This was capped off by a yellow card, given to UWGB senior defender Karen Pierson for a rough takedown just outside the Phoenix goalie box midway into the second half. 

The women's team looks to continue its success against Penn State, who beat the Badgers 5-0 10 days ago.  

""We look forward to frustrating the heck out of Penn State; we look forward to making the game the ugliest game they've seen all year long,"" Duerst said about the Badger's first game in the Big Ten tournament.  

Penn State is a faster team with a more potent offense than any of the teams the Badgers have played during their three-game winning streak. They are No. 8 in the country and lead the Big Ten in both offense and defense. Wisconsin, however, feels that it is a better team now than when it last played Penn State.  

""We're the underdog in this one, we have nothing to lose; we're ready to conquer,"" Szczechowski said.  

The Badgers take on the No. 1 seed Nittany Lions Thursday, Nov. 6, in Madison.