Women's soccer battles back to split weekend bill

After jumping out to a 5-2-1 record, the Wisconsin women's soccer team looked poised for success and had high hopes for the rest of the Big Ten season. But after dropping their next three games, the Badgers found themselves in desperate need of a win as they played host to conference rivals Illinois (7-2-1, 3-1) and Northwestern (6-5, 2-3) this weekend.  

Wisconsin started the weekend home stand on Friday night with a big test against a red-hot Illinois team who came to Madison riding a six-game winning streak and had not allowed a goal in nearly a month.  

The Badgers quickly ended Illinois' shutout streak in the sixth minute of play when junior forward Marla Froelich hit a one-timer past Illini goalkeeper Leisha Alicia that gave Wisconsin an early lead. The goal was a good sign for a team that has struggled to score lately and the Badgers took the 1-0 lead into halftime. 

While Wisconsin struck fast in the first half, Illinois returned the favor, wasting no time knotting the game at one, just 37 seconds into the second half as senior forward Tiffani Walker snuck one past UW freshman goalkeeper Stefani Szczechowski. After its fast start, Illinois continued to control the game through the half and eventually got the game-winning goal when freshman forward Jessica Bayne scored at the 73:06 mark. The 2-1 loss was the fourth consecutive for Wisconsin and continued a trend of losing close, low-scoring games. 

After Wisconsin fell to Illinois, its Sunday match against Northwestern became even more important as the Badgers knew this was a game they needed to win. Jenny Kundert, senior forward and team captain, said, \This game was huge for us; we didn't want the feeling of losing another game, especially at home."" 

Fortunately for the Badgers, on Sunday they got the win they desperately needed, topping Northwestern 2-1 and snapping their four-game losing streak in the process. 

Wisconsin found itself in another low-scoring affair where neither team could capitalize on ample scoring opportunities until Northwestern freshman midfielder Tori Bohannon headed in a corner kick from Aileen Guiney 70:10 into the game. 

Trailing 1-0 late in the second half, the Badgers faced the daunting task of having to come from behind late in the game, something it has not been able to do recently. This time the Badgers were able to mount a comeback that started when junior midfielder Molly Meuer found the back of the net from 30 yards out, off sophomore midfielder Katy Lindenmuth's centering pass. 

The shot off Meuer's left foot took a fortunate bounce in front of the Northwestern goal and snuck past Wildcat freshman goalie Whitney Jones.  

""I was shocked it went in,"" Meuer said. ""It was a fortunate bounce, but it was about time we got a fortunate bounce and had some breaks go our way."" 

With the game tied at one, Wisconsin clearly had the momentum after Meuer's goal and went on the offensive, building a strong attack culminating in Kundert's game-winning goal off a free kick. The shot bent around the Northwestern wall and snuck in the upper corner of the goal, giving Wisconsin the lead at the 87:50 mark.  

Kundert's goal could not have come at a better time and is arguably the biggest shot Wisconsin has had all season.  

""I was so happy,"" Kundert said. We needed something; we needed that sense of knowing we can come from behind.""  

Despite their tough start in conference play, the Badgers know they actually have a decisive edge in just about every statistical category on the season. But their troubles have stemmed from converting scoring opportunities. They have won every game in which they have scored at least two goals. Wisconsin hopes its offensive outburst late in Sunday's game will give them momentum for the stretch run of the season and get them back to their early season form. 

Up next for the Badgers is a showdown with the Iowa Hawkeyes Friday night.