Sunday, June 16, 2024

UW edges out the Panthers

Wisconsin's women's soccer team (4-6 Big Ten, 9-8-1 overall) moved within a game of their preseason goal of sweeping the opponents from the state of Wisconsin by beating UW-Milwaukee (5-1 Horizon Conference, 8-8-1) 2-1.?? The Badgers scored early on the goal by junior midfielder Molly Meuer eight minutes into the game. Senior defender Bethany Heine was attributed to the assist on the goal. 

Sophomore midfielder Elizabeth Chudy's 20-yard strike at the 26-minute mark accounted for the Panther's only goal and only shot on goal of the night. Freshman midfielder Kara Kabellis put the Badgers ahead for good with a goal off of a sophomore midfielder Katy Lindenmuth corner kick. 

UW's best shots all came off of set plays, as wet field conditions and passing troubles kept the Badgers from making their passes off the dribble. 

The story of the game was UW's tough defense, which outran and outjumped UWM the entire game, keeping the ball in Panther territory. As a result, the Badgers were able to fire off 17 shots. However, they were unable to capitalize on most these chances.??  

\We didn't finish the game the way we wanted to. In the second half we didn't play very well. We wanted to get a couple more goals and finish them solidly. We didn't do that,"" Meuer said. 

The best scoring chance of the second half came off a free kick, but the apparant goal was negated by an offside call.?? 

""I'm very disappointed how we didn't put them away,"" Wisconsin Head Coach Dean Duerst said. ""Today we should have scored a few more goals."" 

However, Duerst complimented his defense, saying that they played a great game, only allowing one ""loose, fluky"" scoring opportunity.??  

The Badgers are looking to use this victory as a momentum carrier into the next game against UW-Green Bay Phoenix, a game in which they can fulfill their in-state sweep goal, and also hope it will carry into the upcoming Big Ten Tournament, where the women's team is currently ranked No. 8, facing Penn State in the first round.