Monday, June 17, 2024

Rushdie finds humor in serious topics

Acclaimed literary writer Salman Rushdie spoke to a near-capacity crowd Tuesday night at the Orpheum Theatre, 216 State St., as part of the Wisconsin Union Directorate's Distinguished Lecture Series. 

In stark contrast to his many fiction books, one of which, \The Satanic Verses,"" prompted the Iranian government to issue a fatwa sentencing him to death in 1989, Rushdie delivered a mostly light-hearted speech that poked fun at the Bush Administration and the California recall election. 

Expressing relief at Arnold Schwarzenegger's gubernatorial victory, Rushdie said, ""At least it was not Jean Claude Van Dam, the only person who insists on having a butt shot written into his contract."" 

Rushdie also poked fun at himself by mocking his character in a Pakistani-made film intended to defame his name. In the film, Rushdie said his character was clothed in ""hideous safari dress"" and assassinated by God. 

Many in attendance were interested in Rushdie's controversial novel ""The Satanic Verses"" which sparked riots and worldwide debate among Muslims who considered it an insult to Islam. His most recent work, ""Step Across This Line: Collected Non-fiction, 1992-2002,"" discusses reaction to that book. 

Aynan Kotab, a UW-Madison senior, anticipated an interesting lecture. He said he respected Rushdie's work but questioned his harsh writing style highlighted in ""The Satanic Verses."" 

""I'm not offended at the fact that he disagrees with religious leaders but when you attack them in a personal manner I'm offended,"" Kotob said.  

Others attended the event because of Rushdie's challenging writing style. Megan Just, 29, an English teacher from Wales Kettle Moraine High School, said Rushdie's style challenges kids to explore different views.  

""I think he is a rigorous thinker and I think kids need to be challenged, [His writing] is not fluff,"" Just said.  

Rushdie also touched on serious issues such as the importance of free speech-stating it can no longer be taken for granted in America. He referenced the ""Ashcroft Ridge"" and the USA Patriot Act as threats to free speech and democracy.  

""My point is that it doesn't matter what side of the argument you are on,"" Rushdie said. ""What does matter is that one side should not be terrified to express itself. If one side is terrified to speak, then something terrible has happened to the first amendment.\