Brittney Cooper

Brittney Cooper tells the history of respectability politics that made black behavior “ever visible to the white gaze.”

Revisiting role of sports in hard tuition times

With tuition up 18 percent, class sizes rising to claustrophobic proportions and fewer course options on the spring timetable, the $83.7 million Camp Randall renovation project appears unfair to some UW-Madison students. 

Dan Durch, a UW-Madison junior, is upset about money being spent on the stadium while his professors are forced to cut corners. 

\We just spent how many millions of dollars on Camp Randall, but now for one of my classes we have to pay a computer lab fee,"" he said. ""And tuition went up."" 

Durch's sentiment echoes many responses to a poll conducted in May by the Chronicle of Higher Education. The poll found two-thirds of its respondents feel colleges place too much emphasis on sports. 

This concern is especially relevant at UW-Madison, where ongoing renovations at Camp Randall suggest university support of the athletic department despite budget concerns. The current construction project will add suites, club and premium seats to the stadium. The project will also improve access to restrooms and concession stands, as well as add three video scoreboards. 

Athletic Department officials say money spent on the renovations does not take away from other university services. Jamie Pollard, director of business services for athletics, said the department makes up only 3.5 percent of the university's budget. Therefore, renovations are funded by the athletic department itself. 

""Our athletic department receives zero tax dollars, so everything we spend is generated from individuals attending our events and watching our games,"" Pollard said, adding that donations also defray the costs.  

Arguments that other university services are being slighted in favor of athletics ignore the separation of their financial support. Associate Athletic Director John Chamida said the Chronicle poll perpetuates a false connection. 

""I think it's comparing apples to oranges,"" he said. ""The athletic department isn't putting money into this at the expense of the university."" 

Still, the perception remains that universities lavish state tax dollars on athletics. Pollard said this is due to excessive publicity given to college sports. 

""The irony of college athletics is that [our] 3 percent gets more attention than any other part of the campus,"" he said. ""The great things we do in research ... and at the hospitals, which represents 97 percent of the institution, doesn't garner that same attention.\