Sunday, June 16, 2024

Minor fights ensue, streaker fined $672

While no riots occurred after Saturday night's football game, there were several notable citations, ejections and arrests among fans, according to Sgt. Sue Armagost of the Madison Police Department. 

Of all students receiving tickets, UW-Madison senior Erik Adams was one who garnered attention from the entire student section when he streaked across the field in nothing more than a mullet wig and a pair of shoes. 

Adams, who showed up in tearaway pants, no shirt and a fleece jacket, said he was initially unsure if he would go unclad in front of thousands of fans. 

Upon his decision to streak, Adams relocated to under the scoreboard to avoid security near the student section. Adams then removed his jacket in preparation. 

\I didn't want to rip off the jacket while I was running because I didn't want to lose my mullet,"" he said. 

Adams said he was excited to streak toward the student section, which cheered him on. 

""I just hurdled [the fence] and as soon as I hit the turf I just ripped [my pants] off and just started booking it as fast as I could,"" he said. ""I didn't even know what was going on until I was at the 40, 50 yard line when I looked straight to my left and saw all the players."" 

Adams willingly surrendered himself to the police, who issued him a $672 fine. 

Two other fans went uncovered after the game when they entered a laundry room in The Regent, 1402 Regent St., stripped, put their clothes in a dryer and watched them dry, according to Armagost. A Regent resident was startled by the sight of two naked men doing laundry. 

Additionally, several drunk driving incidents occurred, though no injuries resulted. One car fish-tailed on Regent St. while drunks were dispersing onto the street during bar time. 

Also, two cars were overturned, one on Faherenbrook Ct. and the other near Madison St. About 100 drunks jumped on one of the overturned cars and totaled it, Armagost said. 

However, the number of serious injuries was minimal. 

""It was generally a happy crowd so we didn't see a tremendous number of major disturbances,"" Armagost said. ""There were lots of minor fights."" 

After the game, thousands of UW-Madison students fervently rushed onto the field. 

In an effort to control the crowds, 30 Wisconsin state troopers and 30 UW-Madison officers stayed after the game until fans cleared Camp Randall, according to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4.  

UW-Madison sophomore Missy Kao said she had mixed feelings about rushing the field. 

""It was scary because everyone was running at the same time and I thought I was going to get trampled, but once we were on [the field] it was awesome,"" she said. ""It was like a big mosh pit."" 

UW-Madison junior AJ Dhingra, who also rushed the field, said he did not feel it was dangerous. 

""I expected it to be more riotous, but nobody really got hurt and everybody seemed to be having fun,"" he said.