Hockey ready for takeoff

After an offseason of weight training and conditioning, the Wisconsin Badgers men's hockey team finally takes to the ice for the first time this weekend. A new and improved Badger team will finally get to see what results their hard work will have in store for them. 

\We had a lot of guys stay behind this summer and spend time in Madison. Some guys were here 16 weeks,"" Head Coach Mike Eaves said. ""We look bigger and stronger, leaner and meaner."" 

The Badgers lost some fine seniors to graduation this year, including second leading scorer Brad Winchester and goalie Scott Kabotoff, but some new players will be stepping into the leadership role this year. Senior defensemen Dan Boeser and Andy Wozniewski as well as senior winger Rene Bourque, last year's leading goal and point-scorer, will be captaining the team this year. 

""They lived through what we went through last year,"" Eaves said. ""They made a statement by being here this summer ... They're anxious to have a fresh start and be a better team."" 

""It's an honor anytime you can be a captain at a university like this,"" Bourque said. ""I don't even know how to explain it. It's a great honor."" 

Also returning for the Badgers this year is sophomore right wing/center Ryan MacMurchy who had an impressive freshman year last year in leading the team in assists. Junior goalie Bernd Bruckler, who led the team in every goaltending category while splitting time with Kabotoff, again will patrol the crease for the Badgers this year. 

The Badgers also have another impressive class of freshmen beginning their Wisconsin careers this year, headlined by defenseman Ryan Suter. Suter was tabbed Preseason Western Collegiate Hockey Association Rookie of the Year in a poll by WCHA coaches. 

""I think we have a really solid team this year,"" Bourque said. ""Our defense is really good this year and our goaltending is going to be solid, so as long as the forwards can pull their own, I think we should do fine."" 

The Badgers' first test of the year will be the Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks this weekend in the Maverick Stampede tournament. They will then play either the national champion Minnesota Golden Gophers or the annually strong Maine Black Bears. 

The hockey squad is looking forward to this weekend to hopefully enjoy the fruits of their labor. After an entire summer of conditioning and spending time to contemplate last season, the Badgers are apparently ready for the first drop of the puck. 

""I feel good, really excited,"" Boeser said. ""I've told every reporter that I've talked to that the feeling on this team is a positive one so far."" 

""Both games that we play are going to be good games,"" Boeser also said. ""We've been itching to go now for the last four months. We want to get off to a good fast start ... and then take it from there.\