Men's Hockey

Wisconsin is no stranger to slow starts, as it didn’t pick up its first win last season until Nov. 28, 2014, against Ferris State. 

Attorney educates students about drug legalities

Attorney Marcus J. Berghahn spoke on students' rights and criminal law at Gordon Commons Wednesday as part of a biannual lecture series sponsored by Know Your Rights. 

Berghahn's lecture and discussion, \A Student's Guide to Criminal Law: What You Need to Know"" focused on how to deal with the police and avoid being arrested. 

""Patriotism means citizenship, and citizenship means knowing what your rights are and when you should use them,"" Berghahn said. 

Berghahn said it is much easier to get arrested than it was 10 to 15 years ago. Therefore it is crucial for students to know their rights, know what to say to police and know when the police can search private property. 

The most important thing to keep in mind when dealing with the police, said Berghahn, is to remember that anything said can be used against you. 

""They don't have to repeat the Miranda Rights like on TV,"" he said. 

While Berghahn stressed to be polite and never lie to officers, he also emphasized to respond to every question with the statement, ""I do not wish speak with you until my lawyer is present.""  

According to Berghahn, when the police arrive, they try to make conversation with suspects and ask more intrusive questions to develop reasonable suspicion for arrest. 

""[The police] don't have to be truthful with you,"" Berghahn said. ""I don't want to give you the message of 'cops bad, me good,' but by asserting your rights you've got a fighting chance."" 

UW-Madison freshman Ryan Dux said he was glad he attended the forum and learned his rights. 

Similarly, UW-Madison junior and Know Your Rights member Britta Stunkard said, ""It is important to know that these rights are intrinsic to our citizenship and are so important."" 

Berghahn also detailed the ""collateral consequences,"" or unintended consequences, of a felony charge, such as losing the right to vote and travel abroad.  

""There is no easy arrest, but that doesn't say you have to roll over and play dead on the side of the highway when you get pulled over,"" Berghahn said. 

Berghahn will lead another forum tonight at 8 p.m. at Memorial Union, TITU.