Kundert's ability, leadership guide Badgers

Jenny Kundert, UW senior forward and 2003 team captain of the women's soccer team, has been one of the key factors in their early season success.?? The recent Big Ten Player of the Week sat down with The Daily Cardinal's Rob Burcham to discuss the start of the season. 

The Daily Cardinal: It's been quite a roller coaster ride for you thus far early in the season. You've had a three-goal game, been named Big Ten Player of the Week, your team is off to a good start, yet you also suffered an injury in Friday's match against Iowa State. Give us your thoughts on what's been an eventful start to the 2003 season.??  

Jenny Kundert: It's been a little crazy so far. In the beginning it came to a good start because we won the first couple games, then we lost to Cal-Berkley, the No. 15 team in the country, then we came back home and won three big games in a row. Everything started good, but then my goal on the season was to not get injured and then I messed that one up. Now I'm just trying to get healthy for next week. 

DC: How serious is your injury and what is the timetable for your return?  

JK: Sunday was such a difficult decision, I decided to sit for Nebraska so I could be back for the Big Ten schedule. I'm hoping for Friday, but we'll see. 

DC: The injury was a disappointment, but there certainly have been some highlights for you early in the season. Where does the three-goal game rank for you in your career? 

JK: It was pretty cool, but my favorite games are the ones where our team is complete and everyone is playing their best. It's up there, its nice to get goals, but it wasn't one of my favorites because we didn't play at our top level. 

DC: Has your approach to this season been any different? 

JK: Versus last year I was more intimidated because I was younger, but this year I knew I had to step into a leader role as a team captain.??I came in with more confidence and I know my role better than I have in the past. 

DC: Your coach, Dan Duerst, recently became the most successful coach in Wisconsin history with his 109th win. How important has he been in your development as a player and in the success you've had as a team? 

JK: He's done a great job with the program, it's a great accomplishment for him to beat the record. It's nice to be with him for four years, unlike other places that lose their coach every couple years. 

DC: Coach Duerst said that the motto for your team this year is to be a better team. You had a lot of success last year; does this year's team have what it takes to be even better? 

JK: I definitely think so, last year we were just missing a couple things. We're going to be something to reckon with this year. We can win the Big Ten this year if we just take care of business. 

DC: How does it feel to have the opportunity to host that tournament and how great would it be to win the tournament on your home field in front of your home fans? 

??JK: Most definitely, I'm really excited, it's a great feeling. But it means we got to do well, it would be very embarrassing not to play on your home turf. We have to worry about making it first, then hosting it, then winning it. 

DC: Finally, you are one of those unique UW athletes who is actually from Madison. What has it been like to play in your hometown? 

JK:??It's been cool because you're playing for your own state and your own city. I've always been a Badger fan since I was a little kid, but it also means everything is more important here. I need to hold it down for the \Mad-Town"" girls! [laughs]??  

-Interview conducted by Rob Burcham