Get some Honey and Rhine tonight

Although the Seattle grunge scene has passed with the arrival of boy bands and solo stars, something new is springing up in the music world. Rock 'n' roll bands are making their way back onto the charts. It appears that females are being excluded from the tight club but a Seattle independent rock band, Honey Tongue, is fronted with a female lead singer. Jen Ayers sings with an unusual range and style; she has a throaty voice like Cher with a hard-core edge.  

The style of the band, however, is not as edgy as one may think. Its recent release, , makes it seem as though the band is confused whether it wants to become a part of the pop-punk scene or if it would rather identify themselves as a rock 'n' roll band.  

The song \Overrated"" is a prime example of the band's uncertainty in its musical genre as it mixes pop punk and rock. The mixture, in this case, does not work because the two styles clash with each other instead of complement one another.  

""Runaway,"" nevertheless, offers interesting, more dynamic instrument combinations. Strings, keyboards, guitar solos and powerful rhythms are incorporated in this track that create a better direction for not only the band, but also the listener. ""Senator,"" which comments on violence in schools is accentuated with the heavy keyboards and guitar. Not only is the message of the song clear, but Honey Tongue's musical style is much more definable and satisfying.  

Another confusion of musical genre arises in the song, ""Bye Love,"" which incorporates hints of country with the guitar work followed by a hard rock chorus, ending with mellow keyboards fading out. Perhaps the band is trying to be experimental in its attempt to utilize their talent, but the sounds they are mixing do not fit well together. Its musical ambiguities are apparent throughout the album, making the entire work disconnected from one song to the next. In albums to follow, Honey Tongue needs to find its sweet spot and allow listeners to taste its true flavor. 

Over the Rhine, the husband-and-wife team of Karin Bergquist and Linford Detweiler, recently released a 90-minute double album, , in homage to their home state.  

Over the Rhine's stark, rootsy tenth album is not too guitar or piano-focused, allowing for true appreciation of Detweiler and Bergquist's poetic lyrics.  

The mysteriously titled first track of disc one, ""B.P.D.,"" leans on the whiny side and closes on nearly a minute's worth of slow ""Yeah yeah yeahs,"" setting the tone for the first album, which tends to be a bit drawn out. ""Jesus in New Orleans"" stands out for its story-telling, great lines and steel guitar. The attention grabbing first line, ""The last time I saw Jesus / I was drinking Bloody Mary's in the South / In a barroom in New Orleans / Rinsin' the bad taste out of my mouth,"" is followed by a story of personal recognition of faith, saying ""Ain't it crazy / How we put to death the ones we need the most.""  

Although Jesus and other Christian themes are apparent on the album, Over the Rhine is not a Christian band. DC Talk and Jars of Clay do not talk about drinking Bloody Marys the last time they saw Jesus or cuss about the condition our world is in.  

Disc two surely shines a bit brighter than the first, as the songs pick up the pace and are more rounded than the first disc, but Bergquist's voice still haunts. Her pseudo-rap, ""Nobody Number One,"" is the first track on the disc that has toe-tapping capabilities, but would sound more in character (and better) if Over the Rhine sang the whole song, not just the chorus. The bonus track adds a little more variety and excitement while still staying in character with the rest of the album.  

Just when the listener might catch themselves bopping their head left to right to the few upbeat songs out of the 21 tracks on the album, Bergquist's mellow slurring phrases make one start to feel a just a little bit guilty for doing so. The mood elevating beat of songs like ""When You Say Love"" are only an attempt to mask the lyrics wallowing in the pain of a broken heart.  

is no doubt a beautiful album but 21 tracks is a lot to take in one sitting. It is a post breakup, ice cream eating, on the couch in sweatpants night. Misery loves company.