Letter to the Editor

I am deeply concerned over the response to Daniel Pipes' lecture next week. Calling for the cancellation of his lecture undermines the notions of openness and acceptance that should permeate our society, and an academic community in particular.  

The open unabated exchange of ideas must form the cornerstone of a university campus. Continually defending one's argument and dispelling faulty reasoning generates a clearer understanding of the truth than might be otherwise available. The proper response to a speaker with whom one disagrees is not to call for the silencing of his voice, but to illustrate the shortcomings of his position. If the speaker is as far off base as the students and groups claim, then they should have little difficulty discrediting his ideas and persuading the public. 

The silencing of voices implies that some higher authority, and not individuals themselves, should judge the value of one's ideas. This threatens the foundation of an open and free society. I applaud the members of the Wisconsin Union's lecture committees for working to foster dialogue from all sides instead of choosing to favor one viewpoint over another. 

letters@dailycardinal.com.