Past, present war fill Oscar evening

As expected, tensions over the war with Iraq pervaded the 75th annual Academy Awards. 

While the first hour-and-a-half was dominated by talk of \Chicago,"" Baghdad quickly bubbled to the surface once ""Bowling for Columbine"" Director Michael Moore took the stage. 

Winning for best documentary, Moore brought all the other nominees on stage to voice his adamant opposition to the war. 

""We live in a time where we have a man sending us to war for fictitious reasons. Whether it is the fiction of duct tape or the fiction of orange alerts, we are against this war, Mr. Bush. Shame on you, Mr. Bush!"" Moore said. Moore's comments initially drew boos, which were quickly followed by some applause. 

The intense reaction stirred up by Moore was quickly defused by Steve Martin, whose acerbic wit undercut an otherwise sober event. 

Perhaps the biggest surprise of the night was ""The Pianist."" The dark horse for best actor, Adrien Brody took home a golden statue for his portrayal of a Holocaust survivor. 

Most spectators pegged ""About Schmidt"" actor Jack Nicholson and ""Gangs of New York"" actor Daniel Day-Lewis as the safe bets. 

""The Pianist"" also won out another hotly contested category: best director. Roman Polanski's Oscar win was especially surprising since he is having trouble with the law. 

His victory meant critically acclaimed ""Gangs of New York"" director Martin Scorsese would be sent home empty-handed. ""Gangs"" had 10 nominations, but no wins. 

But Scorsese's loss paled in comparison to that of Meryl Streep. The two-time Oscar winner received her record-breaking 13th nomination for her role as a New Yorker journalist in ""Adaptation."" 

But her 20-year drought was extended another year when ""Chicago"" actress Catherine Zeta-Jones bested her for the supporting actress award.  

""Chicago,"" which had been nominated in 13 categories this year, also took home awards for best picture, art direction, sound, costume design and film editing. 

Other winners include ""The Hours"" actress Nicole Kidman for best actress; ""Adaptation"" actor Chris Cooper for best supporting actor; and, notably, ""8 Mile"" star and singer Eminem for best song.