Sunday, June 16, 2024

Wisconsin skaters ice Beavers

Another weekend means another pair of wins for the Wisconsin women's hockey team.??This weekend, similar to last weekend at Minnesota State, the No. 7 Badgers (9-5-4 WCHA, 16-6-5 overall) twice defeated the Bemidji State Beavers (5-10-5, 7-13-6).?? Saturday's match resulted in a 5-3 win, with Sunday's contest ending in a 5-1 victory for the Badgers. 

Senior defenseman Sis Paulsen led the assault this weekend on the Beavers by racking up a cumulative total of three goals and two assists, with senior forward Kathy Devereaux adding a pair of goals. The victories this weekend improve the Badgers' record and secures their spot at the number three position in the WCHA standings, trailing only Minnesota-Duluth and Minnesota.''''?? 

Saturday's game saw both teams coming out a bit lethargic with no points or penalties in the first period.??However, after the first intermission, the Badgers came to life and put three in the net, including a power-play goal. Bemidji State finally scored their first goal at the beginning of the third period and attempted to stage a comeback.??The Badgers were able to hold off the comeback by adding two more goals in the third in response to the Beavers' three.''''?? 

Unlike Saturday, Sunday saw the Badgers riled up and ready for some hardcore hockey. 

\We knew they were going to come out hard and we had to counter that.?? We had the energy for it and we were ready,"" Devereaux added. Although the Badgers were unable to score until the end of the first period, they came out strong and were ready for anything.??The game was highlighted by a two-goal effort from Paulsen with one in the second and another in the third period.'? 

The second game in this series was an emotional one for some of the Badgers: It was the seniors' last game at the Kohl Center. 

""There's a good atmosphere here, and there were quite a few fans here today.??It's obviously a little bit sad that this part of the season is winding down, but I always love playing [at the Kohl Center],"" Devereaux said.?? There are eight seniors on the 26-member team who play the majority of their home games at the Capitol Ice Arena in Middleton. 

""We're on a four-game winning streak and we're on a roll, and this is the perfect time for us to start peaking,"" senior goalie Jackie MacMillan said.?? A month from now, the Badgers will be competing in the WCHA championship. 

""Every game up until [the NCAAs] is important, and hopefully we'll improve and peak at the right time,"" Devereaux said.?? 

The Badgers will travel to St. Cloud, Minn., this weekend to face the St. Cloud State Huskies on Feb. 14 and 15.