Monday, June 17, 2024

Turning 21--not all that in England

Turning 21 in a country where a 16-year-old could easily walk into a bar and order a pint without question is a bit strange. But then again, I can't really compare my experience to anything since you only turn 21 once, and for me it just so happened to be on foreign turf.  

But still I feel like I've been cheated somehow--I didn't have the stereotypical American 21st birthday. I didn't take 21 shots. I didn't go to the Nitty to get my free mug with free refills of beer all day long (which is the only reason anyone should go there in the first place--if it's your birthday, do your friends a favor and don't make them come with you). 

I didn't head to the bar at midnight of the 17th because most bars close at 11 here and I was tired. I didn't black out and I didn't puke, because to end my 13-year streak of not barfing would just be a huge shame. Hell, I didn't even have to show my clipped, expired, five-year-old license with a horrible, barely recognizable picture of 16-year-old me, complete with braces and bangs, when I ordered a glass of wine.  

The only difference between drinking on my birthday and drinking (legally) any other day while I've been in London is that I didn't have to pay for it (God bless my generous friends).  

But of course it was different than other birthdays in the states. Instead of partying with friends from the dorms whom I've come to know quite well over a year or two, I partied with friends I've known for a little over a month, or even just a few days. Not to mention the whole being in a different country, in a huge city, where carding at its worst consists of a doorman asking if you're over 18. 

And like any other birthday of so-called importance, there was the realization that I am OLD. Okay, maybe not that old, but I'm getting there. I only have two and a half semesters of college left if everything goes to plan, and then what? Get a job? Move on to the REAL WORLD? Can't I just stay 21 for the rest of my life? If you think about it, it's the perfect age--no real responsibilities of any kind, with all of the full privileges of adulthood. 

But until I invent a magical potion to keep me the same age and live forever, I will bask in the wonderfulness of finally being of age. In a country where it doesn't even matter! I'm back to where I started. Well, if nothing else, I can enjoy knowing that when I fly home I will have a brand new license waiting for me with a picture that's maybe decent. It will clearly say \Over 21."" I can pretend it's my birthday and have the bouncer scrutinize my ID at midnight. I can finally see any concert I want to and only be limited by a lack of money and not a lack of years. And I can be content knowing that my birthday was indeed a happy one.