Purdue boils men's hoops

With the lead in the Big Ten at stake, Wisconsin (5-3 Big Ten, 15-5 overall) traveled to West Lafayette, Ind. to take on Purdue (7-1 Big Ten, 15-4 overall) in what looked to be an intriguing matchup. Purdue was undefeated at home over the course of the season, while Wisconsin was playing hot basketball, winning the last five games and looking to take the lead in the Big Ten for the first time this season. 

However, it did not take the Purdue Boilermakers long to prove that they, not the Badgers, belong atop the Big Ten standings. Senior guard Willie Deane came out and stuck it to Wisconsin early and often. Deane had the first 11 points of the game and helped Purdue jump out to an early 18-1 lead. The senior finished the game with 19 points as the Boilermakers handled the Badgers 78-60. 

\I was a little concerned about our kids being ready, but that was a waste of time on my part,"" Boilermakers Head Coach Gene Keady said. ""We were ready and wanted to dominate that first five minutes, and to do that to [Wisconsin] was great."" 

It was the atrocious play of Wisconsin in the first half that ultimately lead to disaster for the Badgers. UW did not score until almost five minutes into the game, and did not hit a field goal until senior guard Kirk Penney completed a three point play eight minutes into the game. 

""[Purdue] deserves to be in first place,"" Wisconsin Head Coach Bo Ryan said after the game. ""I think they are playing well because of what they are doing. We just couldn't get any shots to go down."" 

Overall, the Badgers only shot 31 percent for the game, compared to Purdue's 45 percent shooting. Penney, junior guard Freddie Owens and sophomore guard Devin Harris shot miserably all night. The trio went six for 30, collectively, and two for 12 from three point land. Forwards freshman Alando Tucker and sophomore Mike Wilkinson led the team, with 16 and 13 points, respectively. 

""They pressured us hard and knocked us off a bit,"" Harris said. ""Other than that, we just missed our shots early and didn't recover."" 

Wisconsin opened the game missing their first eleven shots, including all eight first half three-point field goal attempts. With about eight minutes left in the half, Wisconsin was down by its greatest deficit of the night, trailing 33-9. 

Rebounding was a factor in the demoralizing loss. After out rebounding their last opponents 81-43, Purdue out rebounded the Badgers 46-27, 36 of which came on the Wisconsin glass. Wilkinson led the Badgers with seven rebounds. 

The Badgers leave Mackey Arena much the same way as they have in the last 32 years, dejected after yet another loss to the Purdue Boilermakers on their home court.