New group lobbies for developers' interests

Area developers have joined forces to lobby for real-estate interests, raising concerns for some about their potential influence and campaign contributions in the mayoral race. 

The group, Smart Growth Madison, consists of 20 area developers who will lobby on issues such as mandatory inclusionary zoning, which would force developers to include low-income housing in their projects, according to Executive Director Delora Newton. 

\Developers are all over the place and not organized in their effort. I think a lot of good will come out of it,"" said Curt Brink, Smart Growth Madison member and a developer in the student area. 

Mayoral candidate Paul Soglin received at least $2,000 in contributions from individuals of the group during the primary, according to campaign finance reports. He said the contributions have no influence on his longtime commitment to negotiated, not mandatory inclusionary zoning. 

""Long before I became a candidate for mayor, I made a commitment to inclusionary zoning. That's why they have contributed to the campaign. They prefer my approach to inclusionary housing,"" Soglin said. 

He also said Smart Growth Madison has no expectations from these contributions except for progress that will favor all housing advocates, such as speeding up the reviewing process without sacrificing quality and without driving up the costs for everyone involved. 

Mayoral candidate Dave Cieslewicz said that, to his knowledge, he had not received contributions from group members. He also declined to comment on his opponent's campaign money. Cieslewicz said although he supports the group's democratic right to organize, he is concerned that the new interest group will tip the scales in favor of developers. 

""It creates a further imbalance between developers and landlords and students and renters,"" said Cieslewicz, who supports mandatory inclusionary zoning. Cieslewicz, who helped create a state anti-sprawl program called Smart Growth for Wisconsin, also stated that he wished they had chosen a different name for something he does not view as ""smart growth."" 

Both mayoral candidates also expressed concern that the formation of Smart Growth Madison will polarize political issues such as inclusionary housing, making it hard for organizations to work together for results. 

Although Smart Growth Madison has not publicly endorsed a candidate, it has repeatedly voiced its support for affordable housing. 

""We do support affordable housing. We want good development that will attract businesses and people to live here,"" Newton said. 

Mark Olinger, the city's director of planning and development, said the group is made up of significant Madison developers but that it is too early to know the extent of influence they will have on local politics.