Saturday, June 15, 2024

Groups tout green budget fix

A coalition of Wisconsin environmentalist organizations presented the Wisconsin Green Budget Project, a series of environmentally friendly budget cut suggestions Monday.  

Co-authored by Kerry Schumann, director of the Wisconsin Public Interest Research Group, the budget suggestions promise to save taxpayers $225 million in the next two years while maintaining or improving the state's environment. 

Schumann said the report looked at budget savings amounts conservatively, mainly focusing on solid cuts with immediate implementation and a quick payoff for the state. 

The budget cuts suggested ran the gamut from limiting wasteful energy practices in state government to eliminating property tax breaks for large industries.  

The timber and logging industry would shoulder the cost burden of many of these suggestions. Some proposals in the project call for a sales tax on logging equipment and an end to a property tax break for the timber industry. 

\The paper industry is one of the oldest, largest industries in the state,"" Schumann said. ""They don't need tax breaks."" 

Another example cited of environmentally harmful waste in the state government is the state's current car fleet, which includes some large vehicles. If the state were to switch to smaller, more fuel-efficient cars, the report states, it would save around $550,000. 

However, the initial costs of enacting this proposal worry some of the participants of the project.  

""The problem with [switching to more efficient vehicles] is ... there would be an initial cost to the state,"" said Derek Scheer of Wisconsin's Environmental Decade. ""It is very unlikely that any proposal that involves an initial cost, even if it in the long run saves the state money ... will be really looked at."" 

According to Scheer, the problem of initial costs also obstructs the proposals' suggested increase in enforcement of the Clean Water Act. Under federal law, polluters who commit violations relating to the discharge of hazardous chemicals or paperwork and permit violations are subject to fines. These fines go into the School Fund that pays money out to local municipalities and school districts. 

""Proper enforcement of the Clean Water Act could be a revenue source for the state,"" he said. However, according to Scheer the cost of hiring more people to enforce the law would make this proposal politically unpopular. 

Wisconsin's budget deficit for the current budget cycle ending June 30 is $452 million. The deficit for the 2003-2005 budget cycle is projected at $3.2 billion.