UHS finds useful solutions for finals-related stress

As the semester is drawing to a close and final exams are quickly approaching, it is no surprise that students all across campus are feeling a bit stressed.  

\People tend to not take care of themselves in general before test time,"" said Liz Freitick, a University Health Services registered dietician. 

While some students tend to pull all-nighters during exam-week, for example, it is best to get even five hours of sleep a night to retain knowledge, according to Rob Sepich, a stress management counselor at UHS.  

While studying, students often drink caffeineted beverages, but Sepich said this type of stimulant could do more harm than good. 

Sepich also recommends a 10-minute break for every 50 minutes of studying. While caffeine and other stimulants give a quick burst of energy, they soon wear off and leave the student feeling even more tired and worn out than before. 

One of the main reasons that students can get so tired at night is because of unhealthy eating patterns. 

""People skip meals and then they crash at night and they don't really understand why [they are tired]"" said Betsy Kelley, an outreach specialist with UW Extension.  

While it may seem easier to skip a meal, food has a direct effect on concentration and may even affect a person's memory and performance on exams.  

""The issue is trying to still maintain a healthy eating pattern and sleep pattern,"" Freitick said, adding that it is very important to eat three balanced meals a day and that each meal should include three out of the five food groups. ""All the foods work together to help you feel like you can do a task for a certain period of time.""  

Kelley also emphasized the importance of healthy eating habits. 

""That big disgusting meal at midnight is going to make you feel worse the next morning when you get up to take that final,"" she said.  

A great snack for a quick energy boost is yogurt. It keeps blood sugar at desirable levels, according to Kelley. She also suggested snacking on dried fruit, pretzels or cold cereal.  

""Don't skip breakfast because you think you're saving calories or time,"" she said.  

There will be a number of events taking place this week around campus to help students relieve stress and have a little fun in the midst of studying for finals.  

Wednesday UHS will sponsor a Relaxation Room with fresh fruit, relaxing music and relaxation specialists on hand. The free event will take place at the Memorial Union TITU from 2 to 6 p.m.  

Dec. 12, there will be a ""Destress Fest"" at Hillel, 625 Langdon St., at 9 p.m. Highlights will include massages, make your own smoothies, pizza, art projects and music. The event is free of cost and is open to all students.